Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggirp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Opening Locked (not keyed) Desk Drawer
    I have a 1930s wood schoolteacher desk that my roommate somehow locked on the left side. She only remembers closing the drawers. It's of the vintage/style where there's a catch or latch on the back of the drawer -- not keyed. The drawers are empty (she locked it while packing to move). I can't access the drawers (back, side, underneath) without dismantling the desk (not my first choice).

The center drawer and right side ones are fine.

Help?
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 30, 2008, 07:16 PM
    I'm presuming there's a keyed lock on the center drawer... I'd search under the desk top in the center drawer for the latch.
    maggirp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 12:14 PM
    I found the catch -- but it seems to be stuck. I can jiggle it a little, but not really move it. The one on the other side moves. Any further thoughts short of demolition?
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Aug 1, 2008, 07:57 PM
    You might try penetrating oil. If that doesn't work, with an inspection mirror and an angle screwdriver (unless the drawer comes out so you've got better access), you might be able to remove the latch.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 01:35 AM
    If you tip the desk on it's back, there also might be some things concerning the locking mechanisms that you could see on the underside, and also to which you might have access using tools that are long enough to reach them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen drawer keeps opening [ 2 Answers ]

I have a kitchen drawer that opens slightly. How do I adjut the drawer slide to prevent this from happening?

Stuck desk drawer [ 14 Answers ]

My office desk drawer is stuck closed. It opens only an inch. It is on side sliders and there appears to be no way to access the sliders that seem to catch on something inside the track.

Unlocking desk drawer [ 5 Answers ]

I have three "work stations" or desk units. Each has a drawer that can be locked with a small key. Each one was locked when we moved. The keys are lost. Does anyone have any tips on how to unlock? I don't want to pay for a locksmith. I tried the usual: hair pin, small screw driver.

Replacement Keyed Chuck [ 2 Answers ]

I'm am looking for a replacement chuck for my Sear's 3/8" corded drill model #315.271.490. I would prefer to put in a keyed replacement. Sears will only sell me a keyless chuck. Where could I find an appropriate chuck for this 1/2" shafted drill? Is there a particular thread type I need to be look...

Dresser drawer keeps opening [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new dresser that has drawers that are on rails. One of the drawers, when full, will not stay shut. Is there a way to tighten it on the rail?

View more questions Search