Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JessicaT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 01:53 PM
    How to connect an old TV to a surround system?
    I have a sharp TV that has red and white on the back. On the front it has a red, white and yellow. The DVD/Surround system has red, green and blue. I'm trying to connect the DVD and TV to the surround but some how the back speakers and the center one are not working. The speakers are good. HOW CAN I DO THIS?? Please help. Is there anything I can do?:confused:
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Check the instructions for the surround sound system color codes.

On the TV, the Red is Right Audio, the White is Left Audio, and the Yellow is Video.

Find out what the colors on the ss system go with, and match that with the TV inputs.
    MovieMaker Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Sorry to tell you, but you won't be able to get true surround sound from the TV. The audio out of the TV are the red and white plugs on the back (these are called RCA), as you have probably already figured out. Those can only give you 2-channels of audio, so you'll only hear the two speakers, left and right. The blue, green and red plugs you see in your DVD/SS system are for component video (not audio). Your TV does not have an output for component video, so those won't work for you. I'm thinking the component video is an output from your DVD player anyway. If your TV is equipped with component inputs, you will get a better picture from your DVD player using those inputs and a component video cable.

You may have an option in the menu of your DVD/SS player somewhere to force 2-channel sound out of all of the speakers, but it won't be true surround sound anyway. It would just duplicate the audio on the back and center speakers. The problem here is that the TV is not equipped to give out the 5-channels of audio needed to go to the 5 speakers. It will only give 2. A DVD with Dolby 5.1 audio, for example, will play with surround sound in your system since it has that additional audio built into the disc, but your TV will not.

If you are using cable, DirecTV or a similar service, there would be most likely be outputs for component video and surround sound out of your cable box. That would be another way to do it. You would want to use an optical audio cable from the cable box to the DVD/SS system to get the best sound.
    WizKid00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
    Both answers are wrong. You can easily set up the old TV with a vcr which then has rca that you can run to your sound system. The down fall is you will not have great quality and you have to switch channel through your vcr. That's how I did it the old way. But I'm trying to figure out an upgrade version myself

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I connect two networks in one system [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have two networks one is for internet usage and other is for call center usage. The call center ip is dedicated link in that we don't get internet and in internet usage ip is only for internet usage. Now I am here with one problem i.e.. while I am connecting this two networks in one...

Connections for RCA surround sound system [ 2 Answers ]

I had this figured out at one point in my life, but then I moved. Here's my dillema. Normal Sylvania TV, Magnavox DVD/VCR and RCA surround system-How do I connect these three? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Error 678 when trying to connect to internet. Doing a System Recovery didn't fix it. [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Compaq Presario with Windows XP. I get this error when trying to connect to the internet: (using a speedstream modem - DSL service from SBC) Error connecting to My ISP Error 678: The remote computer did not respond. For Further assistance, click More Info or search Help and...

View more questions Search