Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PastorDave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Verbal Command & Leash Training
    I adopted a 3 year old Cavalier. He doesn't respond to any verbal commands, and is very timid. When you put a leash on him, he turns into a mule... he sits and will not move. He was rescued from a raided puppy mill, and has never been out of a cage. It's like training a new born puppy. How can I get him to respond to commands and walk on a leash?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jul 30, 2008, 09:26 AM
    He has been intimidated into this fearful state by his previous circumstances. It is important to not frighten him more... Do not raise your voice, and be careful of your tone of voice... Animals don't speak english, yet are very conscious of sounds we make. Don't try to force him, when he trusts you he will want to do as you wish. It takes at least as long as he was in the "puppy mill" for him to adjust to a new life. Be patient, affectionate, loving and kind. He will respond as soon as he trusts you. Be sure to change his water daily, and allow him to see you giving him food... God bless both...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Leash training [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old red healer/husky and I can't get him to listen to me at all on the leash Once he is outside,on or off the leash he ignores me.he is on a harness and a long leash.how do I get him to focus on me so I can train him to stop pulling.just to let you know he listens very well indoors.

Leash training [ 3 Answers ]

How do you train a 7 month old lab to walk on a leash when she is deathly afraid of cars and other noises? When you put a leash on her all she does is yelp and she won't move. She really needs to walk.

What's the best way on leash training your puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 1/2 week old little darling of a puppy, but she's a stubborn little ----- (haha, kidding!) when we get her on her leash. At bathroom time she's not too bad, because we take her to an area of our yard to go to the washroom, and then bring her back in. But when we try to take her for a...

Leash training an old dog [ 2 Answers ]

We have taken in a dog that is about 8yrs old and I don't know how to train her to walk on a leash. When you put the leash on her and hold on to the end, she does not move. She acts scare of it. What do I do to teach her to walk on a leash.

Leash training [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know at what age to begin leash training with a puppy... I actually started my 12 week Chihuahua in the kitchen and rewarding him when he walks with the leash. When I get him outside he's OK for about 5 minutes and then all the sudden he begins to tug and cry so I immediately take the...

View more questions Search