Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atticguy Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 05:08 AM
    sizing guide for pex supplies
    hello again speedball,

so I've decided to tackle my pex plumbing project myself and not shell out $700 to the "I know a guy" guy. From what I've read so far, sizing pex is the same as copper, but I value your input greatly.

I am running supplies for an attic half bath. The total run for hot/cold is about 45 feet (with bends calculated in).
    my question is: I know I should run 3/4" for the cold supply, then tee (3/4 X 5/8 X 1/2) at the toilet and reduce down to 1/2" for the lav (which is about 8 feet downstream). Would I be OK running 1/2' the entire length from basement for the hot (which will originate about 2 feet downstream from H2O heater), or just run 3/4" and reduce to 1/2" prior to the lav?

I am hoping any pressure drop will not be significant enough to notice, also only running 1/2" for the hot will save some cash.

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

louie
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Hi Guy,
    "my question is: I know I should run 3/4" for the cold supply, then tee (3/4 X 5/8 X 1/2) at the toilet and reduce down to 1/2" for the lav (which is about 8 feet downstream). Would I be ok running 1/2' the entire length from basement for the hot (which will originate about 2 feet downstream from H2O heater), or just run 3/4" and reduce to 1/2" prior to the lav? "

Let me quote code to you. All mains to be 3/4" with no more then 3 fixtures taken off a 1/2" branch. Your hot line will be just fine if you come off a 3/4" main. Never heard of a 3/4 X 5/8 X 1/2" tee in plumbing. Because we figure the ID of a pipe because of the volume it will carry like 1/2" a AC man will figure the same pipe at 5/8" OD for its radiation factor. Regards, Tom

Apr 10, 2006, 06:42 AM
    "Never heard of a 3/4 X 5/8 X 1/2" tee in plumbing"

sorry tom, was getting ahead of myself. I believe I'm thinking of a 3/4 X 1/2 X1/2 , then one of the 1/2s will be reduced to 5/8 for toilet, the other will continue to lav. That should make more sense.

also, both supplies will be coming off 3/4 mains. Looks like I'll save a few bucks on the hot supply.

as always, thanks a million :D

louie
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by atticguy
    "Never heard of a 3/4 X 5/8 X 1/2" tee in plumbing"

sorry tom, was getting ahead of myself. I believe I'm thinking of a 3/4 X 1/2 X1/2 , then one of the 1/2s will be reduced to 5/8 for toilet, the other will continue to lav. that should make more sense.

also, both supplies will be coming off of 3/4 mains. looks like i'll save a few bucks on the hot supply.

as always, thanks a million :D

louie
    Hey Louie,
    "then one of the 1/2s will be reduced to 5/8 for toilet,"
    I find two things wrong with this statement.
    1) 5/8ths isn't a reduction from 1/2.
    2) You'll supply the cold water to both lav and toilet off a 3/4"main using a 3/4 X1/2 X 1/2" tee. You seem to want to complicate things by changing the size of the branches. Am I missing something here? Regards, Tom

Apr 10, 2006, 12:35 PM
    "Am I missing something here?"

Not at all, I was. In my minds eye I was seeing the attachment of a compression stop valve to the stub out as a "conversion/reduction". Which it is not. I was not differentiating between rough in and finish plumbing. Reading back I can see where things went awry. This seems like an issue of misunderstanding and miscommunication on my part. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your patience with a novice. :o
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Hry Louie, No problem.
    I don want to bust yochops but a angle stop, (compression stop valve) is a 1/2 X 1/4" compression stop made by Brasscraft. Cheers, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Plumber quote using pex, new supplies to attic [ 2 Answers ]

Hello , back again. After all the away time from country/project, I decided to ask a plumber for a quote on running the supplies for my new attic 1/2 bath. (tapping into lines in basement, running all the way up. The attic bath is adjacent to water wall) also, 1st floor bath water wall is opened...

Bow Sizing [ 2 Answers ]

How does one determine what size bow to buy? I have noticed many lengths and draw distances. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a bow to find out it is not comfortable to use.

School supplies and clothes [ 20 Answers ]

This question maybe should be in the education area, but there are some "emotional" aspects to it so I thought I'd post it here. My children will be in school very shortly. Two of mine are both starting school, and I'm also currently taking care of 2 nephews and a niece, who are also school age....

Leesy's Guide To... [ 2 Answers ]

In order to keep myself in practice with web design & development, I'm thinking of writing a few "guides" to some common web design topics. I was just wondering if anyone has some topics they would like to see something on. Some examples of what I could do a guide on: Positioning using CSS...

Power Supplies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to be traveling in the caribean, I'd like to take my laptop and camcorder... does anyone know if I need to purchase a separate power regulator, or do the power supplies attached to most electronics take care of any powe surge or lack thereof Thank

View more questions Search