Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pake Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    Lou Kuipers

Jul 30, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Use a computer as a public address system
    Hi,
    I wonder if it is possible to use a computer by plugging a mike and seekers into it, and then use it as a public address system.
    Example: using a slide show and have your voice come through the speakers.
    Or when playing music to sing along through the speakers. If there is a program or a way to do this I appreciate it if you let me know.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pake
    I wonder if it is possible to use a computer by plugging a mike and seekers into it, and then use it as a public address system.
    Yes, but I would question the prudence of such a setup for any environment larger than a room. Most computers with audio hardware have connections for microphones and speakers. However, for a large presentation environment such as an auditorium, amplified speakers beyond the scope of typical desktop computer speakers would be required, in which case the microphone could be plugged directly into a multiple input speaker amp. Personally, I would go with a discrete projector for the slides and a separate PA speaker system/amp for the laptop's audio output, a non-computer mic, and possibly a small mixer. You can also get Karaoke-in-a-Box devices with amp, speaker, tone/volume controls all in one easy to transport box. The folks in the Electronics forum may have additional suggestions.
    Lou Kuipers

Jul 31, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros
    Yes, but I would question the prudence of such a setup for any environment larger than a room. Most computers with audio hardware have connections for microphones and speakers. However, for a large presentation environment such as an auditorium, amplified speakers beyond the scope of typical desktop computer speakers would be required, in which case the microphone could be plugged directly into a multiple input speaker amp. Personally, I would go with a discrete projector for the slides and a separate PA speaker system/amp for the laptop's audio output, a non-computer mic, and possibly a small mixer. You can also get Karaoke-in-a-Box devices with amp, speaker, tone/volume controls all in one easy to transport box. The folks in the Electronics forum may have additional suggestions.
    It is not intended for a large auditorium.
    The intent is to address about 30 people in a room.
    Hardware Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Give it a try. Hook up some speakers and mic to your laptop and see if your setup is up to the task by doing a dry run of your presentation in the actual room or a similar environment.
    Lou Kuipers

Jul 31, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros
    Give it a try. Hook up some speakers and mic to your laptop and see if your setup is up to the task by doing a dry run of your presentation in the actual room or a similar environment.
    No that does not work
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Jul 31, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Hi,
    Example: using a slide show and have your voice come through the speakers.
    Or when playing music to sing along through the speakers. If there is a program or a way to do this I appreciate it if you let me know.
    This is a tough one... I'm sure there may be some software out there (audio mixing software to be exact or perhaps karaoke software)... though I am not sure.

It seems that using a laptop as a mixer comes down to finding software that will let you do it.

Question: Are you putting together a presentation and/or providing some sort of entertainment? Just wanted to get more details to see if I could offer any more help.
    Lou Kuipers

Jul 31, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Always_helping
    This is a tough one...I'm sure there may be some software out there (audio mixing software to be exact or perhaps karaoke software)...though I am not sure.

It seems that using a laptop as a mixer comes down to finding software that will let you do it.

Question: Are you putting together a presentation and/or providing some sort of entertainment? Just wanted to get more details to see if I could offer any more help.
    The Idea is to use it in a meeting. I am looking at the laptop at some slides about business at hand. (about 15 slides) I would like a speaker to carry my voice or the voice of the lady sitting bside me. She is verry soft spoken, it is most for her.
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Jul 31, 2008, 02:12 PM
    The Idea is to use it in a meeting. I am looking at the laptop at some slides about bussiness at hand. (about 15 slides) I would like a speaker to carry my voice or the voice of the lady sitting bside me. She is verry soft spoken, it is most for her.
    Thanks for your response.

I do not have a good, solid answer for you, except what I offered in my previous post.

I hesitate to even post the following but here it goes: Is a "Mr. Microphone" with a small boom box nearby too "cheesy"/unprofessional?

I'm not trying to be funny or cute... just trying to "think outside of the box". I am sure you understand.

Best regards.
    Lou Kuipers

Jul 31, 2008, 03:52 PM
    I assume now that it can not be done, I was hoping that there is a plug in for Windows Media Player
    Hardware Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Specifically, what did not work when you tried? Nothing additional is required. You can hook up a mic and speakers and using Windows? Built-in volume control crank up the volume. You may need to un-mute the mic or enable any gain boost setting in the advanced options for your audio hardware for the mic volume to be loud enough. Also, depending on your laptop's audio specifics, the audio output may need to be switched from internal speakers to external jack, etc.
    jchap0325 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 06:20 PM
    You can use the open-source Audacity program to simultaneously record and transmit the presentation. You will need to check sound levels for feedback, however.

Another option would be to have the presenter record the audio for each slide, then insert the audio into the presentation.

If you have a set of PC speakers, you can use a 3.5mm coupler (Amazon.com: Cables To Go - 03170 - 3.5mm Stereo Coupler F/F: Electronics) to connect the speakers to a handheld or lapel microphone directly (using the correct plug adapter) and bypass the computer completely.
    david1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 09:08 AM
    Use Your PC as a PA
    By Alfred Poor
    April 8, 2003 1 Comment

InShare
    0digg
    I need to send audio input from a microphone to my PC's speakers. Essentially, I want to use my PC as a small-room public-address system. Can I use my sound card direct from the microphone?
    Ted Sandoval
    Not only is this possible, it's surprisingly easy. We'll assume that you are running Windows XP, but the steps are similar for other versions of Windows. We will also assume that you have a microphone plugged into the microphone input on your computer's sound card and that the mic is switched on, if it has a power switch.
    Find the speaker icon in the system tray. If you don't see a speaker icon, launch Control Panel and double-click the Multimedia, Sounds and Multimedia or Sounds and Audio devices applet. On the first tab find the check box that relates to showing a volume icon on the taskbar - check that box and click OK. Double-click the speaker icon to open the Volume Control window, which acts as amixer board for the various sound channels. In that window, choose Properties from the Options menu. Make sure that Playback is selected in the Adjust volume for box,and that the check box for Microphone is checked in the list of volume controls. Choose OK to close the Properties window.
    You should now see a column labeled Microphone in the volume controls. Uncheck the Mute check box for the microphone, making your mic live. Adjust the Microphone and Volume Control settings and the volume control on your speaker system as needed.
    Depending on how you have the speakers and microphone positioned, you may experience feedback problems. This is caused by sounds from the speakers entering the microphone, getting amplified, and then coming out of the speakers again. This loop creates the familiar screeches and squeals associated with microphone use. You may be able to defeat them by using a directional microphone, but if all else fails, position the microphone behind the speakers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conversion from septic system to public sewer [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering purchase of a home that currently has a septic system, but the township is installing a public sewer line and at some point, owners will have to connect. I have been told that the cost elements would be: (A). Project cost pro-ration; i.e.: project cost pro-rated among all...

I don't have system graphics or 3d engines on my computer. [ 2 Answers ]

How do I download system graphics. - moved from Forum Help -

Lost IPP address via System Defender invasion [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Winbook laptop with Windows 2000 OS that is connected to my PC router via a card. Last March when I was online I received a popup from something called System Defender saying I had a virus and to download this software to dispose of it. Evidently System Defender is not what it appeared to...

View more questions Search