Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3114_willshaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 12:25 AM
    Paying car finance
    Please advise

I can no longer afford my repayments and want to return a brand new car to the finance company after only owning it for 4 months can I do this without declaring bankruptcy?

Thank you
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Welcome to AMHD. Read your contract. Usually, the finance company will sell the vehicle for half of its value and expect you to pay the remainder. It will be to your advantage to sell the car, but you must be able to payoff the lien in order to give the buyer a clear title.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2008, 06:08 AM
    There is no such thing as a "brand-new" car once you drive it off the lot. A car generally depreciates by 15-30% as soon as you take possession. So, if you turn the car back to the dealer, they will sell it for a maybe 60-70% of what you paid and you will be liable for the difference.

Your best bet is to try and sell it yourself. See if the loan is assignable so maybe you can get someone to take the car off your hands by taking over the payments. But turning it over to the dealer or letting it be repo-ed are the LAST things you want to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finance [ 2 Answers ]

MI has a 1000 par value 30 year bond outstanding that was issued 20 years ago at an annual coupon rate of 10%, paid semiannually. Market interest rates on similar bonds are 7%

Paying twice [ 1 Answers ]

I opened a account with a furniture company many years ago (apex 10yrs ago) and I thought my bill was paid in full I just received a letter from a collection company telling me that I have this outstanding bill with them I told them that I do not have my paper work from the furniture company.I...

View more questions Search