Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mocha81 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Jul 29, 2008, 09:25 PM
    24 years apart
    I'm 20 dating a 43 year old.. he's about to turn 44.

Has anyone else ever dated someone much older? If you were around my age... how did or would you tell your family?
    KissMe10der Posts: 306, Reputation: 22

Jul 29, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Oh! Someone who is like me!!

My BF is 37 and Im 21.

My parents were very understanding. Love has no set age. Its hard though! The gap does show.

The main difference in it is how much they have their family involved.

My BF is very independent, doesn't really talk to his family either. Me, despite moving 12 hours from home to be with him.. Im very close to my family, I like their opinions. He hates when his mom butts in..

If we didn't have the age difference, he wouldn't be in a safe zone to have me come here and support me. If I wasent so young, I wouldn't be able to pick up and move wth not many strings.

Jul 29, 2008, 09:49 PM
    I haven't told my parents about it.. I've been seeing him for about 2 months only now and I'm not too sure how my parents would react.. I've told many others like my sister and mutual friends we have.. everyone seems to say go for it and there's no problem with the age difference and not to care what others think. My parents are more traditional I guess so they would be hard to tell. I don't think they'd be OK with it but who knows they might surprise me too.
    KissMe10der Posts: 306, Reputation: 22

Jul 29, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Tell them, its your life. How does your boyfriend feel?

Mine didn't understand, but with the age thing... Do you honestly think he needs mom and dad permission? No, but eventually I told her.
    Rabbit91 Posts: 74, Reputation: -5
    -

Jul 29, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mocha81
    I'm 20 dating a 43 year old.. he's about to turn 44.

Has anyone else ever dated someone much older? If you were around my age... how did or would you tell your family?
    23/24 years difference eh?

That's more years then I am born gahh..

I would just say hey guys Id like you to meet "stacy" and if the question comes up I would say well she can be my mom. She's like 20+ years older or something?

Lol :p

True love has no limits.

Jul 30, 2008, 01:23 AM
    Well at first I didn't want to tell anyone.. which at a point was like why keep it a secret from everyone.. what kind of relationship is that right.. so we told people that we both knew and told my sister and see what some people thought because I really didn't know if I should be in a relationship with this guy.. this was like the first 2 weeks of dating.

My parents know I'm seeing someone.. I'm sure they clued in anyway.. they just don't know who and their age or what he looks like.. and your right.. on his side or mine.. we're adults I don't need their permission but I do like the approval too. I don't want to screw up anything with my parents but hopefully when I do let them know.. hopefully sooner then later, they'll accept it.

And rabbit91.. talking about the song stacy's mom? Lol

True love has no limits... love that :D
    estell08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 12:33 AM
    I am in the same situation, I am the same age also! I'm 20 he is 44... although my story is a little more complicated... He is Married and on top of that there is another woman, he can't stand not having me in his life, but at the same time he can't seem to choose between me & his other girlfriend. He is in the process of leaving his wife... I know exactly what you think, and that I am an idiot for doing this. We have been seeing each other for about 2 years but only once or twice a week, I have recently moved to be closer to him. I can't seem to trust him anymore, I don't know what to do. I don't think the age matters at all, as long as you are in love, and there will ALways people out there who will never accept it, but its your life...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been fri [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been friends since I was 17 and about 3 years ago that grew into something more. He is everything to me my best friend my lover and my partner. There is no one I would like to spend my time with except for him. He is 56...

Six years later [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 34 year old woman. I have been dating a 45 year old man for six years. He currently lives with his mother but stays many nights with me at my home with me and my four children. He works and provides for us very well when I ask for help. My problem with him is, he is a drug dealer. I use the...

Ontario / Seven years done... Now seven more years? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Ontario Canada and have waited seven years for a TD Bank entry to come off the "Credit Information" section on my Equifax report, It's come off but now there's a completely new entry in the "Collection Accounts" section for the same arrears handed over to a collection agency. I thought...

After five years, could it really be over? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm completely beside myself. My boyfriend and I met five years ago, which is pretty much when the relationship started. He's English, I'm American. We were long distance for two and a half years, then lived together for six months, apart for six months (due to visa issues only), then have been...

Been 2 years and [ 1 Answers ]

Its been two years since a girl and I broke up. I broke it off because we had a stupid argument and we tried to work it out, but could not. A week past and I thought I would open up to her and confess my real feelings to her. Well, I did and every since then she will not talk to me. I told her I...

View more questions Search