Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maricicj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 07:52 PM
    AC nor heater will not turn on; no air blows from air ducts
    My AC stopped working after a power outage due to storm.
    After power came back, AC would not start.
    No air at all is coming out of the air ducts and outside unit fan is not moving.
    Circuit breakers are OK.
    I tried switching to heating, but air is not blowing from the ducts either.

I have a mechanical thermostat. It is showing temperature correctly, however I am worried that it is broken and does not start either AC nor heater.
    Do you think it is a thermostat or something else?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Well to start, check breakers for furnace and air conditioner, if nothing is tripped, try removing the panel on the furnace and look for a fuse that may be tripped in the low voltage circuit.

Jul 31, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Hi,
    I checked breakers for furnace and air conditioner and they are not tripped.
    Then I removed the panel on the furnace and checked the fuse. It is fine as well. I checked it with the multimeter.

Any other ideas?

Thank you so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    Well to start, check breakers for furnace and air conditioner, if nothing is tripped, try removing the panel on the furnace and look for a fuse that may be tripped in the low voltage circut.

Jul 31, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Hi,
    Just for a record I called service people today and they found that the high speed on our 3 speed blower motor is dead. This the one that is used for cooling.
    For reference, low speed is used for heating in this case.
    So he switched the motor speed to medium for cooling and system works well now and the bill wasn't extremely high.

Thank you so much for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater blows hot air, then cold [ 1 Answers ]

My home heater comes on, blows hot air for 10 to 15 minutes, then cold air until we turn it off. If we leave it off for about 30 minutes, it blows hot air again, for 10 to 15 minutes, then cold again. What do you think is the cause?

Wall heater pilot light lit, but cuts off when I turn heater on [ 6 Answers ]

I have a wall heater, the pilot light was out so I re-lit it a couple days ago and it went on.. about 4 hours later I noticed it was out again... same thing off and on for three days... this time I lit the pilot and turned the heater on it immeditly made a click sond and went out completely... it...

Heater blows warm air but also cold [ 1 Answers ]

Our heater blows warm air out as it is supposed to, but also blows cold air out of the cold air return vents. Any idea on how to fix this short of replacing the system?

Honeywell Heating system blows cold and won't turn off [ 1 Answers ]

We have a honeywell heating system in our home for central heat. Occasionally, it blows cold or won't turn off no matter what settings we choose. We have had Sears here a few times but the problem continues to ban issue. Can anyone tell us what to do?

View more questions Search