Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TXRenter01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Two tenants one signature - we don't want it anymore
    I recently signed a lease agreement in Austin without my roommate, but now we both want to get out of it. We were told that they would take our deposit as well as a reletting charge.

Since we haven't moved in yet and both of us haven't signed, can they still charge us for the reletting? I feel like if there's two names on the contract and only one signature, then it shouldn't be a completed transaction.

The landlord has not yet signed, but they own the original contract so they could sign it whenever they want. There's no way to prevent something like that right?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TXRenter01
    I recently signed a lease agreement in Austin without my roommate, but now we both want to get out of it. We were told that they would take our deposit as well as a reletting charge.

Since we haven't moved in yet and both of us haven't signed, can they still charge us for the reletting? I feel like if there's two names on the contract and only one signature, then it shouldn't be a completed transaction.

You signed a contract; your roommate did not.

They've got you to look to for reletting charges and so forth. Your roommate has no liability.

Did the landlord sign? If not, it is not a contract.

You could always fight this in Small Claims Court but I believe you will lose.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Judy is correct.

Assuming the LL signed, YOU are on the hook.

Do you have a copy of the lease? Is it a TAA lease? If so, you're sunk. It's air tight. You're actually lucky that's all they're requesting you pay.

You can NOT pay the reletting charge, let them keep the deposit and hope they let it go at that. But legally they could file suit against you and win.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I evict tenants? I live in Florida, ex lives in Tennessee. Tenants are friends [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story. My wife and I used to live in our house in Michigan. She moved to Tennessee first with the kids. I moved to Florida by myself. Upon leaving the home, she suggested I rent the property to friends of hers. I was getting the rent at first and then now they send it to her only. ...

It is his signature [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My girlfriends grandad wrote a cheque for her and an uncle at the beginning of December 2007,for a large sum of money she did not see the cheques been wrote but it was confirmed by phone by him that he had did this she put it in the bank and they cashed it, then towards the end of December he...

Can bank evict well paying tenants if tenants want to stay [ 3 Answers ]

My good friend from England and his family are leasing a home in Houston TX. He is a well paid man working for a oil company and (with British passports). Landlord fell sick and is about to foreclose the house and go bankrupt. My friend Martin loves to stay there to continue his tenancy (a...

Signature to me [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest a beautiful signature for my name “ZUBAIR AHMED KHUSHHALI”. Or give web-link to solve this problem??

Do I need to have a signature? [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a question about adoption. Would the father have to sign the papers in order for it to go through? Even though you may not know where he is and he has shown no responsibility towards the child? Or could there be another way?

View more questions Search