Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the gunslinger Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Side effects of citalopram and how to counteract them?
    Hello everyone,

Ive been having a lot of problems with depression lately, and my family has a history of it. My doctor recently put me on citalopram, and by recently I mean 5 days ago.

Needless to say man oh man do I feel weird. I realize for the first 2 to 3 weeks ill probably feel weird. However I didn't really expect this, though I know what I am experiencing is apparently normal side effects.

Here's a list of what I have noticed:

Minor tinny taste in my mouth, minor drymouth I guess

Difficulties maintaining an erection

Lack of enthusiasm for activities I once enjoyed, as well as brain freezing when attempting to really think about them. Example: Im on a paintball team. The other night I was trying to get myself geared up and ready to go and get mentally ready, however when I thought about everything that can happen during a game my brain literally froze up and I just couldn't think, it was too overwhelming. This wasn't the case a week ago. Same thing with things at work.

Sometimes I'm very very sleepy, though this is rather rare.

I'm noticing headaches at night, whether this is due to this I don't know.

Difficulty focusing, becoming easily confused. Its like my mind is made of concrete and I can't think through it. Things that require a lot of focus and attention are difficult.

Apetite increase.

Some lack of emotion. The only time I really feel anything at all is when I'm with my fiancée. Everything is normal with her. This isn't to say I feel numb the rest of the time, I just feel zero really...

Needless to say, again, I realize that this drug can take time to kick in, my doctor advises around 2 to 3 weeks. What I'm wondering, is there any possible way to counteract most of these side effects?

I typically take the drug first thing in the morning, but this is causing a lot of confusion in me during the day, and I can't have that at work. Im wondering if I should switch to taking it right before I go to bed, I'm hoping if I do so that the effects would be a little more manageble by the time I wake up.

Thoughts? I really would like help with this.

Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the gunslinger
    Hello everyone,

Ive been having alot of problems with depression lately, and my family has a history of it. My doctor recently put me on citalopram, and by recently i mean 5 days ago.

Needless to say man oh man do i feel wierd. I realize for the first 2 to 3 weeks ill probably feel wierd. However i didnt really expect this, though i know what I am experiencing is apparently normal side effects.

Heres a list of what I have noticed:

Minor tinny taste in my mouth, minor drymouth i guess

Difficulties maintaining an erection

Lack of enthusiasm for activities i once enjoyed, as well as brain freezing when attempting to really think about them. Example: Im on a paintball team. The other night i was trying to get myself geared up and ready to go and get mentally ready, however when I thought about everything that can happen during a game my brain literally froze up and i just couldnt think, it was too overwhelming. This wasnt the case a week ago. Same thing with things at work.

Sometimes im very very sleepy, though this is rather rare.

im noticing headaches at night, whether or not this is due to this i dont know.

Difficulty focusing, becomming easily confused. Its like my mind is made of concrete and i can't think through it. Things that require alot of focus and attention are difficult.

Apetite increase.

some lack of emotion. The only time i really feel anything at all is when im with my fiancee. Everything is normal with her. This isnt to say i feel numb the rest of the time, i just feel zero really...

Needless to say, again, i realize that this drug can take time to kick in, my doctor advises around 2 to 3 weeks. What im wondering, is there any possible way to counteract most of these side effects?.

I typically take the drug first thing in the morning, but this is causing alot of confusion in me during the day, and i can't have that at work. Im wondering if i should switch to taking it right before i go to bed, im hoping if i do so that the effects would be a little more managable by the time i wake up.

Thoughts?. I realy would like help with this.

Thanks!

According to the literature I have - my husband was a Doctor of Pharmacy - those are all side effects. Also says the dosage should be/can be adjusted after a period of a few weeks and you can take the medication either AM or PM.

And, no, there's really nothing you can do about side effects except wait for your body to adjust to the medication.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Side effects [ 4 Answers ]

Please can you tell me what side effects I will have to expect on superfact

Side effects [ 1 Answers ]

What are the side effects of metoprolol succ er in adult males

Will I Get Side Effects? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I was taking this medication called Lexapro. Well, I stopped cold turkey. What I want to know is if I will have/get side effects.

Side effects [ 1 Answers ]

Side Effects Of Finasteride In Women

View more questions Search