Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Abandonment
    Hello. I have a situation in which my step daughter's biological mother who's has not seen my step daughter or given any type of child support in over 10 years is now trying to say she wants to exercise her right to supervised visitation as specified in her divorce papers-10 years ago. We actually do go to court at the end of August for the fact that she is $40,000 dollars behind in support. I am wondering that when we go, if she does request visitation to be reinstated, does she actually have a chance to get it? I mean it has been 10 years. Is there a point in which she gave up that right?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jul 29, 2008, 09:51 AM
    There are different laws based on the state that you are in regarding abandoment. However, if she wants to see her she will most likely not be denied the right to see her. What state are you in?
    jkat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 10:01 AM
    I am in Indiana. Do you know what her chance is in Indiana.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Abandonment is a grounds for getting a termination of parental rights (TPR). Unless you got a TPR then her rights remain, even though she hasn't exercised them. In addition the support is kept separate from the visitation. So, there is a good likelihood that she will get visitation. You can probably get it restricted to supervised visitation initially.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jul 29, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Child Welfare Information Gateway
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
    She has the right to her supervised visitation. The support order and visitation order are legally separate. So, if she wants to exercise her visitation she will be able to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment.what can I do [ 3 Answers ]

I have a one year old daughter and her father has not been in her life since I kicked him out of my house after she was born because I was not going to support him. My dilemma is the lawyer I talked to said that they won't take his rights away and I am not sure why. I figure this is straight...

What is abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two daughters that live w/ their mother in Indiana and I have not been able to help in money matters for a while . I have helped with clothing and other things I just haven't handed their mother money in any way in a long time.I moved to another state to get a better job so that I could help...

Is this abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

HI I have 4 children ages 8, 4, 3, 1 my 8 and 4 year old are from a previous relationship I left my ex when my 4 year old was 3 months old. And my boyfriend is the only father the 4 year old knows. The first year my ex and I separated he stuck to our agreement that he would take his kids every...

Abandonment [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: Can someone tell me the advantages and benefits of having a parent declared to have abandoned his children? excon

Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband is taking me to court for abandonment,how can he do that if I never left for more than 2 weeks at a time.and also in 1997 I have court papers from when he would up and leave me and my children for no reason and that's not abandonment.the only reason I left before was he would always...

View more questions Search