Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roho2453 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Can my wife leave and re-enter the US while under I-751 staus?
    While living in the UK my wife received an Alien Residence Permit. We began shopping for a home in the USA and eventually purchased one. However, because she entered before we were married two years we were required to file I-751 and that filing date is 9 months away.
    On our last entry into US, Immigration authorities told us that she was not allowed to leave the country until the I-751 status was resolved. Is this in fact true?
    Additionally, the social security office has informed us that she cannot apply for a card until this is resolved, which makes getting a job, bank acount and driving license impossible.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by roho2453
    While living in the UK my wife recieved an Alien Residence Permit. We began shopping for a home in the USA and eventually purchased one. However, because she entered before we were married two years we were required to file I-751 and that filing date is 9 months away.
    On our last entry into US, Immigration authorities told us that she was not allowed to leave the country until the I-751 status was resolved. Is this in fact true?
    Additionally, the social security office has informed us that she cannot apply for a card until this is resolved, which makes getting a job, bank acount and driving license impossible.

I don't understand why you're questioning what the Immigration authorities told you. The obviously have told her not to leave the country and I wouldn't risk her status unless an Attorney gave me binding advice.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roho2453
    While living in the UK my wife recieved an Alien Residence Permit. We began shopping for a home in the USA and eventually purchased one. However, because she entered before we were married two years we were required to file I-751 and that filing date is 9 months away.
    If I understand your story correctly, she entered US on other types of visa or on visa waiver program and she was out of status for a while before you got married... is that correct?

Normally when you file I-751, you must be in US from the beginning until approval. Leaving US can be done only when you file re-entry permit and get approval before you leave.

BUT... if she entered US with visa other than fiancée visa, or spouse visa, she MUST stay in US until the petition is approved. This is why she cannot obtain SSN, etc. She must wait until the application is approved.

Important things you should know: Green card holders cannot leave US longer than 1 year or the status will be revoked. It's recommended not to stay outside US longer than 6 months/year as immigration officers may assume that you abandon your residency and that means your legal status will be permanently canceled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1- H1 (dual staus/1040 NR) ? [ 24 Answers ]

I have read threads on this forum and if somebody can help me, I just want to be clear on this. I was on F1 from Aug 2001 to Octo 2004 (OPT Dec - 2003 to October 2004), I worked on OPT from Jan 2004 up to October 2004 and change my status to H1 from October 1st. Now, since my H1 status for 2004 was...

401K early withdrawal and filing the same on NRA staus [ 7 Answers ]

I'm living in the state of Arkansas. Planning to do an early withdrawal of my 401K in the year 2009 and move to India. For that year, I'll be living in India and I'll have no other income than this for the whole year. I'll not pass the substantial presence test and so tax status will be...

B1 (75 days) + L1 (135 Days) + Family = Filing Staus? [ 7 Answers ]

I came to US on L1 visa (Company Transfer) with my wife (non-working) and son (Infant) on L2 Visa on Aug, 11 2007. Located in Dallas/Tx with no state tax and getting US salary with tax witholding based on M5 status. My total stay in L1 visa is <183, but stayed on B1 Visa in Feb-May 2007 for...

When my wife has to enter US to be claimed as my tax dependent exemptions [ 2 Answers ]

HI, there, Just a question regarding to tax dependent. My wife and I married outside US this year. She is planning to take the visa interview on Dec. Can she be count as my tax dependent exemptions for my 2007 tax return if she enters US before 12/31/2007? When will she be eligible to be...

Wife is sick and wants to leave me what to do? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been marred for 20 years been together for 26. About year ago my wife said that she wanted to separate. Well we did about 8 mo later. I stayed home and took care of our 16yr old son. At that time a ask her if there was someone else she said no. Well about 2mo later I found out she was seeing...

View more questions Search