Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 07:11 AM
    240 volt appliance
    Hello,
    I have a kitchen appliance that is 240v 12.5 amps. My question is will 12.5 amps the combined amperage on both legs (12.5 amps on each phase) or is it 6.25 amps on each leg. I know the amperage will vary according to amount of load on the appliance and won't be exact.

Thank you
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Amps are not combined. You have 12.5 amps per leg.

The correct way of stating this is you have 12.5 amps @ 240v, or 3000 watts.

Jul 29, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Thanks for your answer stanfortyman.
    So I assume using an amp meter, each leg should read roughly the same amperage...
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Yes, IF this is a straight 240v appliance.
    Many kitchen appliances are 120/240v requiring a neutral because they have 120v loads as well as 240v loads. In this case the load will most likely be unbalanced.

Jul 29, 2008, 07:56 AM
    There is no neutral connection for this appliance. It is a deep fryer that is built into the kitchen counter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Assemble a 220 volt outlet from two 110 volt circuits [ 5 Answers ]

I need help making a temporary 220 volt outlet cord. I have the female 220 v receptacle and two extension cords. I need this to connect a window AC. The electrician cannot come until mid next week. It is very hot here. He told me to put one these cords together for a temporary fix. He warned...

220 volt appliance into 250 volt socket? [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, Sorry for the probably really basic question but a Google search did not turn up anything conclusive. I am looking to buy a new dryer, which is 220V electric. My wall socket says 250V on it. Will the dryer work being plugged into the 250V? I am thinking that it will... but I...

240 volt 4-wire too short to reach appliance [ 2 Answers ]

Replacing an old stove with a new range in a different location in the Kitchen. The old 4-wire service is too short to reach the new location. Can I put a junction box in the line and take a new wire from the junction box to the new stove? Or do I have to replace the wire with a longer wire from...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search