Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dell Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Fractions
    1- Add the fractions 2/3, 3/8, and 5/12 and reduce your answer to lowest terms.

2- Subtract the fraction 7 4/5 from the fraction 18 6/15 and reduce your answer to lowest terms.

3- Divide the fraction 14/27 by the fraction 2/3 and reduce your answer to lowest terms.

4- Change the fraction 38/8 to mixed number and reduce your answer to lowest terms.

5- Multiply the fraction 9/15 by the fraction 30/72 and reduce your answer to lowest terms.

6- Multiply the mixed number 4 2/7 by the mixed number 6 2/5 and reduce your answer to lowest terms.

I need help.

Thanks,
    Dell
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Please read the sticky at the top of this forum. Please don't ask us to do your work for you. If you want to repost showing the answers you got we can confirm them. But the assignment was given for YOU to do to learn from.

Apr 9, 2006, 01:25 PM
    Sorry if I went to the wrong site. I'm asking for help, but I guess I must be in the wrong site.

Have a nice day.

Dell
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 9, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Dell, you are in the correct place.
    We will help with your homework, but we will not do it for you.
    So if you can show us some of your working then we'll guide you in the right direction.

Apr 9, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Dell,
    As Ben and I said, we are here to HELP, not do the work for you.You did not specify what help you wanted. Baeed on your post it appears you want us to give you the answers to those questions. But that would be doing the work for you. If that's what you want, then this is not the right site for you. Most Q & A sites will not do the work for you.

However, if you want to show us your work we will provide some help.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2006, 05:11 AM
    HI,
    Do you know the rule for adding fractions?
    Your math book has the rules, and for adding fractions, you must change the bottom numbers (the denominator). I will put these in the correct fractions for you, then it's up to you to finish the first one.
    2/3, 3/8, 5/12.
    You need to change these fractions so they all have the same bottom number.
    So, what number will 3, 8, and 12, divide into without having anything left over? How about 24?
    Change the fractions to all have 24 as the denominator, then add the numerators, and reduce the answer.
    Best of luck.
    PS; If you try, show that you are trying, please post back with how you think the first problem should be done, and I will help. What do you think the answer is?

Apr 10, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Hi Fredg,

Thanks for the explanation. I will try to do it and will get back to you with the answer.
    Thanks again for you help.
    Dell
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Hi, Dell,
    You are welcome. Your math book will have examples of all the problems you gave. I use to teach math. So, if you have any trouble with anything, please just post back here. It is sometimes hard to get the idea with fractions!

Apr 15, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Hi Fredg,

I have done what the fractions for the first question and here is what I came up with for the answer. 1 11/24.

2/3 = 24 ÷ 3 = 8 x 2 = 16/24
    3/8 = 24 ÷ 8 = 3 x 3 = 9/24
    5/12= 24 ÷ 12=2 x 5 = 10/24

added all the top numbers to 35/24 = 1 11/24

I hope that this is correct.

Thank you so much for your help it was really appreciated.

Dell
    P.S. let me know if I got it correctly.

Apr 15, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Well Done! You clearly understand the prinicples and should have no problem with the other questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Subtracting fractions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Sorry I haven't been here in a while but I need some help in math, it's been so long since I have been in school I have forgotten some things,, will you please explain to me how to do subtracting fractions, Thank you so much ...

Fractions [ 6 Answers ]

how do you convert the math problem 5x (2/3 x 1/2) to get the answer?

Fractions and negative exponents [ 3 Answers ]

How do I make a fraction out of 3 to the negative 2 power? Thanks

Simplifying algerbraic fractions and using logs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm having some problems with this A2 level maths quesition. How do you simplify the following algerbraic fration?: (x^2 + 4x + 3)/(x^2 + x) I have used the notation x^2 as 'the square of x' Also, how do you find the value of x when log2(x^2 + 4x + 3)-log2(x^2 + x) My notation for...

View more questions Search