Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Accounting Problem
    Which of the following transactions would increase a firm's current ratio?

a. Purchase of inventory on account
    B. Payment of accounts payable
    c. Collection of accounts receivable
    d. Purchase of temporary investment for cash

I chose C collection of accounts receivable because I feel it will increase the increase asset which in turn would increase current ratio. Is my reasoning correct.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Current Ratio = Current Assets / Current Liabilities

Current Ratio will increase IF CA goes up and CL stays the same.

a) Purchase of Inventory on account (CA – no change, CL goes up, so Current Ratio goes down)
    b) Payment of AP (CA down, CL down, no change)
    c) Collection of AR (CA goes up (cash), and CA goes down (AR), so, no change)
    d) Purchase temp invest for cash (CA goes up (invst), CA goes down (cash), no change)

So, none of these transactions will make Current Ratio go up.

Perhaps you mean, which will make Current Ratio go down? In which case it would be A

B, C & D will not affect Current Ratio

As to why it is NOT C….the JE would be Dr. Cash, Cr AR. Current Assets go up by $40 that you collect in cash, but your other Current Assets account – AR goes down by $40, so the net effect is $0, so no change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting problem- need help [ 1 Answers ]

Which of the following statement about long-term assets and disclosures is true? a. A business must disclose every depreciacle asset it owns in the financil statement. b.Disclosure of PP&E asset by major categories provides decision makers with insight on a company's cash flow expenditures. c....

Accounting - Please Help with AR Problem [ 2 Answers ]

Your employer has asked you to assist the controller in valuing account receivable at 12-31-05. Pertinent information is enclosed and you may have to estimate some items or make assumptions to complete the project. 12/31/2004 Cash ...

Accounting problem [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please check my answer to see if I am correct. -Mars corporation has developed the following flexible budget formula for annual indirect labor costs: Total annual cost=$12,000+.$.25 per machine hour. Operating budgets for the current month are based on 5,000 hours of planned...

View more questions Search