Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinke_v Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 07:22 AM
    where to claim deduction?
    Hi,

I would like to know how and where to claim the deductions allowed under the India-US treaty. Do I add both the standard & personal deductions and put it under exemptions of form 1040? Also, do I claim both the deductions (3200 + 5000=$8000) on the state tax form as well?

thanks in advance!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 10, 2006, 09:08 AM
    Pinke:

If you are filing Form 1040 as a resident alien, you CANNOT claim the treaty exemptions under the India US Tax Treaty. You get the $3,200 personal exemption and the $5,000 standard deduction as a resident alien anyway, so nothing is lost.

As for the state return, each state has its own standard deduction and personal exemption, usually much lower than the federal amounts.

Apr 10, 2006, 01:46 PM
    I'm sorry I should have stated that I am filing 1040NR.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Assuming you are on a F-1 visa, on Form 1040NR on the line where you listed your itemized deductions, claim $5,000. To the left on the dotted line, write in "Standard Deduction allowed under U.S.-India Tax Treaty".

Apr 11, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Yes, I was on F1 visa throughout the year. So you're saying that I claim only the standard deduction and NOT the personal deduction on the 1040NR?

Thanks, Atlanta Tax Expert for your invaluable help. It is nice to know that there are still helpful people like you who are willing to advise and coach even though you get the same questions over and over again.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 07:54 AM
    No, you can claim BOTH. Claim the standard deduction of $5,000 on the line marked "ITEMIZED DEDUCTIONS" and claim the personal exemption of $3,200 on the line two lines down marked PERSONAL EXEMPTION.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Can I (on h1b visa) claim my child (h4) for deduction on 1040nr? [ 6 Answers ]

If I am on H1B from Russia and have a 6 y.o. daughter with h4 visa, can I claim her as a dependent on 1040nr, in order to get deduction on my tax? Thanks.

How to Claim SS & Medicare on H1B [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently working on my H1b Visa. I started working with a company from Jan 2005. Jan 2005 till April 2005 I was on OPT. I got my H1b approved from first week of June. I would like to claim SS & medicare taxes. I am the only H1b guy in this company so HR people are not aware how to...

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search