Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 02:39 PM
    I am sensitive to cold does it automaticaly mean root canal
    Today I had sharp pain from jaw area to top of head it came in waves and disapearred around 2pm. In the mean time I thought it was a dental problem. I went to my dentist and he could find nothing. Took exrays and examined me. That was not good enough for him. He had me bite on a stick and nothing. Then he tested me with ice and oh my G-d I jumped off the chair.
    I am always very sensitive. Anyway the tooth in question according to my dentist is a virgin tooth, no cavities etc. no sign of a problem. He wants me to consult a endodontist. He thinks the root is dying without any outward signs.

Is it possible to just be sensitive or do you think a root canal is necessary?

Any help would greatly be appreciated
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 06:21 PM
    If a tooth is dying it would normally be sensitive to heat and pressure. He had you bite on the stick to see if you had a crack in the tooth. You could try brushing with SensodyneF or ProEnamel for a week or so to see if it settles down. You could also ask your dentist to paint a fluoride varnish on it.
    Did your dentist check your bite? Are there signs that you are clenching or grinding your teeth?
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 06:40 PM
    He never asked or checked, he was just in a rush to send me to an endo. It does not hurt when I eat something cold just when he place the cold object directly on the tooth. I have no other symptoms i.e. warm or sweet does not hurt. He did not want to wait and see.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
    If the tooth has not had a filling on it, it is unlikely that it needs a root canal unless at some point in your life you injured it with a fall or accident.

There would be no harm in leaving it. If the cold sensitivity becomes more persistent or you start being unable to chew on it or heat sends you through the roof then sure, go see the endodontist.

If your dentist could not see any sign of infection at the root tips how does he expect the endodonist to see it?

Has stress been high in your life the last little while? Do you wake up with headaches in your temple area? Does your jaw feel tight or tired? Pay attention to see if you are clenching your teeth.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 01:46 AM
    Thank you flossie. Last question for you. I was sick all night in pain, now I believe could be sinus. Do you think sinus infection caused pain?
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:08 AM
    Definitely!
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:11 AM
    I'm going to go to an ent today do you think I should get it evaluated anyway.(hate to spend the money ) but I want to save the tooth if there is a problem
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:15 AM
    You have lots of time to save the tooth if there was no infection seen on the x-ray. Teeth generally die slowly. You could certainly go have it assessed by the endodontist, let him know that your sinuses are bothering you too. Usually, with a sinus infection you will get pain in the upper teeth when you bend over to pick something off the floor, walk up and down stairs, jog, etc.
    Did the tooth ache through the night too while you were lying still?
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:18 AM
    Yes but the pain travelled all over the left side of my head not so sharp but dull. Me ear is bothering me now and so is my throat and neck. Also have some congestion in my nose as well
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:34 AM
    See what the ENT says. If you are put on antibiotics wait until you are finished them before seeing the endodontist. If the tooth pain is gone, then you know for sure it was the sinus infection causing the pain.
    Does the tooth bother you when you eat ice cream or anything cold?
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Teeth don't hurt never did just that pain from jaw to top of head. Does not hurt while eating cold hot or sweet, just hurt when he did that test
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:06 PM
    I just got back from the ent. Had a ct and showed nothing. Did diagnose me with a bad case of tmj. Obviously sitting in a dentist chair with my mouth wide open is not going to happen. Any sujestions about the pain. Says it is nerve pain from tmj. He recommends heat, anti inflamatory and soft foods. Any other suggetions would be great
    sourgummyworms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Comment on flossie's post
    Actually a lot of people have sensetive teeth (even I do!) but it does mean that the anamyl is not as strong so you should brush your teeth very well.
    sourgummyworms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 02:40 PM
    You may have a virus.(wich is highly contageous) do you have extreme headaches? It also could be streap. Wich means you shoul probably see a doctor. Or if you don't want to spend the money get some motrin it helps keep you asleep and it get rid of the pain and clear your throat if it is coated if this doesn't work see a doctor
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Sourgummy worms. Just went to ent had a ct scan no infection
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 03:14 AM
    I'm glad to hear you don't have an infection.

If you are having problems with your TMJ anti-inflammatories and soft foods will help but you have to figure out what the cause is. I had asked before if you have been under a lot of stress lately. Your dentist should check your bite and facial muscles. If they are being stressed or are in spasm by clenching and grinding (which is often done while sleeping) you should have your dentist make you're a night guard. You may think that you aren't grinding or clenching but you have most of the symptoms of someone who does.

Do NOT let your dentist talk you into having a root canal done. TELL him you want a night guard. If he can't make a proper one for you ask to see a periodontist to make one for you.

One thing to remember, when yawning, try not to open your mouth real wide. Keeping the tip of your tongue behind your top front teeth will prevent you from opening too wide.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 03:31 AM
    sourgummyworms this is for you...

CAUSES OF TOOTH SENSITIVITY

Brushing too hard. Over time, brushing too hard or using a hard-bristled toothbrush can wear down enamel and cause the dentin to be exposed. It can also cause recession of the gums (the gum tissue pulls away from the teeth).

Recession of the gums. As gums move away from a tooth due to conditions such as periodontal disease, the root surface becomes exposed.

Gum disease (gingivitis). Inflamed and sore gum tissue may cause sensitivity due to the loss of supporting ligaments, which exposes the root surface that leads directly to the nerve of the tooth.

Cracked teeth. Chipped or broken teeth may fill with bacteria from plaque and enter the pulp causing Inflammation.

Teeth grinding. Grinding or clenching your teeth may wear down the enamel and expose underlying dentin.

Tooth whitening products or toothpaste with baking soda and peroxide. These products are major contributors to teeth sensitivity.

Your age. Tooth sensitivity is highest between the ages of 25 and 30.

Plaque build-up. The presence of plaque on the root surfaces can cause sensitivity.

Mouthwash use. Long-term use of some mouthwashes. Some over-the-counter mouthwashes contain acids that can worsen tooth sensitivity if you have exposed dentin (the middle layer of the tooth). The acids further damage the dentin layer of the tooth. If you have dentin sensitivity, ask your dentist about the use of a neutral fluoride solution.

Acidic foods. Regular consumption of foods with a high acid content, such as citrus fruits, tomatoes, pickles and tea, can cause enamel erosion.

Recent routine dental procedures. Sensitivity can occur following teeth cleaning, root planing, crown placement, and tooth restoration. Sensitivity caused by dental procedures is temporary, usually disappearing in 4 to 6 weeks.

Tooth decay (cavities). Generally cause sensitivity to cold and sweets.

If enamel is weak it needs to be kept clean, sure, but not by aggressive brushing as this can cause you to lose even more enamel and your nerves will be more exposed.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 03:38 AM
    flossie, one last question. If you have enamel errosion, would a dentist be able to see that?

Thank you again for all your help
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Yes, he should be able to see it. The enamel will lose its lustre and texture. The tooth appears yellow as thinning enamel allows the internal colour of the tooth to show through. The biting edges of the front teeth become thinner causing a translucent appearance. Small crack and minor fractures can occur on the weakening enamel surfaces. Fillings that are in the teeth will appear high as the enamel around them dissolve.

Here are a couple of photos of molars with erosion.
    Attached Images

richelee13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 03:34 PM
    Omg , help me I need answers my tooth senses a lot when I put something cold on it and if I chew on it , my dentist doesn't fine anything wrong with it . They said if it keeps hurting to come in again and they said it possible could be a rootcanal I hope not please help me anyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There I just had the first part of a root canal done today... you know the part where they make a nice big hole in the tooth and take everything out... I have a temporary filling for now but I was wondering if there is anything special that I could do to "baby" this thing so there are no...

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I am on antibiotics for a root canal that is infected, it still swells and is uncomfortacle when I lay down at night. I had it exrayed , it wasn't cracked looked good, but is it bad since it won't get better at night. I have a temporary crown on it and when it swells is hits my bottom teeth is that...

Root canal [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I had a root canal and the tooth needs a crown, but I am petrified of the dentist. The tooth never had pain until the dentist touched my tooth two years ago. Now the tooth has pain every now and then. The other night that same tooth had pain, but the pain was gone in the morning. The next...

Root Canal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a root canaled tooth, #11, that is bothering me. I have had it for over 6 years. I got it xrayed and it showed that the post had fractured the tooth above the gumline. I was not given a choice of options on this, only to extract it. I don't want to do this. I know it can be saved somehow....

Root canal perforation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I want to ask a lot of question about the root canal perforation! Like What's the meaning of root perfoation? Causes ? Tratment? How to avoid root perforation ?

View more questions Search