Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danzak View Post
    ...The description of how to wire TWO sensors was VERY HELPFUL and worked. I diagramed it out, consistent with the other diagrams offered....

Regards,
    j
    ^--aka Snidley Wiplash
    Snidley, did your two motion sensor switches work together? I hooked up a couple of PR150s according to your diagram (and someone else's description), and it kind of works. The switch at the top of the stairs turns on the light every time. At the bottom of the stairs, sometimes it turns on the light, and sometimes it doesn't. One time, I stood at the bottom of the stairs and watched the light go on/off/on/off/on/off/on... but I couldn't reproduce that behavior a second time. Anyway, I'd say the switch at the base of the stairs is turning on the light 50% of the time. Other times I can see the little green light go on, but the switch doesn't power the load.

Anyone have an idea what's up? Has anyone else wired up two of these sensors together for one load? I wonder if it's a problem with the timeout delay being inconsistent or the light sensor.
    d3c0y Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 10:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arog View Post
    Snidley, did your two motion sensor switches work together? I hooked up a couple of PR150s according to your diagram (and someone else's description), and it kinda works. The switch at the top of the stairs turns on the light every time. At the bottom of the stairs, sometimes it turns on the light, and sometimes it doesn't. One time, I stood at the bottom of the stairs and watched the light go on/off/on/off/on/off/on... but I couldn't reproduce that behavior a second time. Anyway, I'd say the switch at the base of the stairs is turning on the light 50% of the time. Other times I can see the little green light go on, but the switch doesn't power the load.

Anyone have an idea what's up? Has anyone else wired up two of these sensors together for one load? I wonder if it's a problem with the timeout delay being inconsistent or the light sensor.
    I'm having the same issue so it must be something with the switches. When I called tech support they told me I had to buy (2) ODS10-IDI but I'm call that upselling... I'd like to know more from him regarding settings. This could be a resistance issue..
    Joe-Diane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Can I install 2 Leviton PR180 motion switches to the 2 current 3 way switches?
    I had them installed and could turn lights on/off, but in the off position there seemed to the lights had a dim flicker. Any suggestions?
    karmali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 06:32 PM
    So I got mine to work, admittedly I found the instructions hard to read at first but after a quick once over I kind of understood what was going on. Follow the instructions on the install guide and pay particular attention to the A-G segment where it shows you how to find both travellers and the common lead on the line box. Wire up the sensor as described. When you get to switch 1 wire it up as it was before but just add the ONE yellow wire that came with the kit and curl it to the black screwed or load part of the switch and the other end to the either traveller a/b doesn't matter screw on the switch. That should be it. I also found it easier to wire this at night.

Hope this helps.
    mv10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2011, 12:34 PM
    My load-connected 3-way switch connected to my line-connected PR180 still does nothing.

The original instructions resulted in no power to the light whatsoever. Jasonv56's comment about putting power to the black lead and putting the others to the travelers resulted in the sensor working (full-on, or on with motion and off with timer), but the 3-way still does nothing. My jumper is on the 3-way between A and the load line.

I noticed this question has been asked several times in Leviton's own forums without any clear instructions being given by their support people.
    knblis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Can kricks post live links to the 4 diagrams? I have a stair case with one light at the landing controlled by two switches, one at the bottom of staircase and the other at the top. I intend to replace the top-of-stairs switch with the PR180 so I opened the box to check its wiring. When I turn the switch face down and look at the backside of it, there are places for two wires at the top, a red one on the left and a black on the right. On the bottom left there's a place for only one wire and it is black also. I was hoping I could just plug the wires from the existing switch into the PR180 in their same relative positions. After reading the previous comments, that expectation seems too good to be true. Can anyone verify if this will work?
    klricks Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by knblis View Post
    Can kricks post live links to the 4 diagrams? I have a stair case with one light at the landing controlled by two switches, one at the bottom of staircase and the other at the top. I intend to replace the top-of-stairs switch with the PR180 so I opened the box to check its wiring. When I turn the switch face down and look at the backside of it, there are places for two wires at the top, a red one on the left and a black on the right. On the bottom left there's a place for only one wire and it is black also. I was hoping I could just plug the wires from the existing switch into the PR180 in their same relative positions. After reading the previous comments, that expectation seems too good to be true. Can anyone verify if this will work?
    Don't assume relative wire locations even when replacing same type of switch.
    Different manufactures have different layouts.
    Look for the silver screw terminal -before removing any wires!- and mark it.

Here are the PR180 diagrams:
    Note new and old have different colored wires. (New has the yellow with red wire).
    Also these drawings are 5+ years old. Don't know if there is any newer models and/or drawings?

Old version LINE side:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img850/7835/pr180linesidewiringdiag.jpg

Old version LOAD side:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img442/5810/pr180loadsidewiringdiag.jpg

New version LINE side:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img846/3847/pr180linesidenew.jpg

New version LOAD side:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img703/5666/pr180loadsidenew.jpg
    klricks Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2012, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by klricks View Post
    Don't assume relative wire locations even when replacing same type of switch.
    Different manufactures have different layouts.
    Look for the silver screw terminal -before removing any wires!- and mark it.

Here are the PR180 diagrams:
    Note new and old have different colored wires. (New has the yellow with red wire).
    Also these drawings are 5+ years old. Don't know if there is any newer models and/or drawings?

Old version LINE side:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img850/7835/pr180linesidewiringdiag.jpg

Old version LOAD side:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img442/5810/pr180loadsidewiringdiag.jpg

New version LINE side:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img846/3847/pr180linesidenew.jpg

New version LOAD side:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img703/5666/pr180loadsidenew.jpg
    Sorry the common terminal on a 3 way switch is usually black not silver.
    As I said the common terminal can be at any position on the standard switch depending on brand or model. Your standard 3 way switch may even be different than how the switches are drawn in the above links. The important thing is to get the common wire connected correctly. Identify and mark it before you disconnect anything. The other 2 wires (travelers) don't matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Leviton 3 way motion sensor switches [ 17 Answers ]

Have done a search and found another post with the same question, but no info on the reslution of the problem. I put in a stairwell to the basement with a landing and 90 deg turn. I have installed a light fixture above the landing to light the stair well and want to control it with motion...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

Questions on wiring up a Leviton PR180 Motion Activated Switch [ 1 Answers ]

Newbie here - hopefully you guys can give me some help on a wiring question. I have two boxes - box 1, which is where I would like to put the PR180, has the following wires: Hot, Traveler A and Traveler B. Box 2, which is where the normal 3-way switch is, has Traveler A, Traveler B and what I...

View more questions Search