Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apple tree Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 01:22 PM
    I am a girl and have to figure out what paint and how to paint my barn?
    Ok so now that I have your attention.. I have a very old existing barn with not much paint on it. Who knows when and with what type of paint was used it is so weathered. I think I can just paint over it. In its condition I would have to sand it. The paint is not flaking it is just very weathered almost nonexistant. I also need to paint the new addition which is made of rough cut lumber. Keeping in mind I will be houseing horses and they chew wood. The fences will be painted the same white as the trim on the barn which will be your typical red. Does anyone know what type of paint or stain will be my best bet? I am looking for something that I can use and not have to paint again for a long while. That won't hurt the horses and is not too expensive. I live in central New York so it needs to fight off some pretty bad weather.

Thanks a bunch

Carie
    Peter Wilson Posts: 86, Reputation: 19

Jul 29, 2008, 04:37 AM
    Hi Carie, hire a pressure cleaner and give it a good wash, this will also blow off any loose paint. You may have to go over any badly flaking places, if any, with a wire brush.
    I live in Australia and don't know what brands of paint you have over there, but you should paint it, not stain it, or you will be creating a lot more work for yourself, down the track.
    Use an acrylic (water based) paint, can you get Solar guard, or Weather shield, over there?
    It must be an exterior paint, that shouldn't need an undercoat. How-ever, you will probably need at least three coats.
    It is usually best to use the best paint, the difference in price is minimal, you will probably paint it for a couple of hundred dollars at the most. A 20 litre can goes a long way.
    Use Dulux, if you can, it is one of the best.
    Cheers:)
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jul 29, 2008, 06:44 AM
    I don't see why you couldn't use a stain, a good oil based stain (barn red?) would hold up good and seep further into the wood than paint, giving it a better hold, and it won't peel off. It will take at least 2 coats. Power washing is a good idea first.
    Peter Wilson Posts: 86, Reputation: 19

Jul 30, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Stain will fade in the sun, you would be lucky to get 5 years out of it. I have also seen a fungus grow on stain that is very hard to remove. Also, once you use an oil based product, it is almost impossible to put an acrylic over the top with any success, it will peel off when it has been damp for a while, like after a few days of rain.
    Ask your local paint supplier, the old guy, not the new chum, he should know what he is talking about. Cheers:)
    apple tree Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Thank you so much for your time! I was leaning towards the stain myself but am unsure. I hired a contractor to do a lot of work on this barn and am not impressed at all at what I am getting for my money. I am afraid this barn will not stand up to my horses or the winter snow load. I guess so much is wrong on the inside I want to be sure I can make the outside as nice as possible. I have to hire someone else to correct and finish the job. I wish I were allot stronger. I have the love a knowledge to build but not the strength, and being a woman who would hire me as a builder? Lol. Anyway again thank you so much for your time and any information is totally appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paint a car [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am going to paint my car by myself. I have some questions 1. should I put primer cover the old paint before paint a new coat or just wash and sand out wax? 2. is it better if use sprayer gun than aerosol? 3. how to make the clear coat shinny and glossy as original...

Paint job [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to price a paint job for the interior of a home.thank you.

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Car Paint [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a website that shows the available colours purple available to buy to paint your car. So if anyone knows any please help

To paint or not to paint [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving into a new home here in the next few months and the basement will be not finished. I want to do a couple of rooms down there, so how do I prepare the floors, do I paint them with that green paint for basement concrete floors or do I prep it with plywood or paint and then place...

View more questions Search