Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SWeeTCHeeKieS Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Am I just a Wannabe Cheerleader?
    Am I not a good cheerleader or does everybody feel like this at times? I'm a first year so this whole cheerleading thing is new to me... but anyway at my school we are really good at all sports even cheerleading. My coaches are really picky and I feel like they only stare me down... not the other new cheerleaders! And I hate it because when they watch me I start to mess up. They keep telling me to yell from my gut not my throat but I TRY and they say I end up singing it.. anyway does anbody know how to make me have a good cheer voice? And I also need tips on how to stay confident because that is another one of my issues.. when they are criticizing me they tend to tell me I'm not confident enough and that's what's holding me back. I just want to wow my coaches on Wednesday morning at practice! Please help!
    aliciag940 Posts: 62, Reputation: 4

Jul 28, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Have you ever had the wind knocked out of you? Or if you cough and exhale really quick, that is what they mean by "from your gut"... when you cheer, you should feel your stomach muscles tighten and flex, and your voice should be maybe a little deeper than normal.

Confidence is an issue when you have coaches staring at you, but think about it this way... you would not have been put on the squad if they didn't see something in you! Just keep a perm-a-grin on and do the best you can!

Good luck!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 01:21 AM
    I'm wondering how you have 4,294,967,295 posts and joined this month... **Editted**It was a glitch, it was fixed**
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 01:26 AM
    It sounds like you are doing great, just keep at the top of your game, and practice practice practice.
    SlyPhoenix Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2009, 01:05 PM

I am a senior and captian of my varsity cheerleading squad and I have felt this way! I am a good cheerleader and I know this now. I never had doubts up until this year which is odd.

Honestly you'll never be good enough for them but that is not what matters. If you know you are working your hardest then you are doing your absolute best. Don't let them get to you. Even though you t hink it is only you who feels this way you are misguided. Everyone does and probably even your captain.

Tips: Tell yourself a compliment everymorning in the mirror

If you feel your lacking in an area devote 15min to that area a day

If your having a really bad day and coaches are making it worse. Pull one aside and tell them how you feel. Most are very understanding since we are women and we all have issues.

Hope I helped if you have any other cheer questions I am here to help!
    steffybabytm Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 02:57 PM
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I joined my school cheerleading squad as a freshman and felt exactly the way you did yet half way through, I was promoted to a co-captain, then sophomore year a Varsity captain. I would have to say that this is a completely normal feeling so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you practice as much as possible and put 110% into everything, there is really nothing more you can do, so you should just be proud of yourself. But, if the stares and such keep bugging you, don't be scared to ask your coach, this is how they will build a trust in you and see that you want to become better and that really gets in good with them. =]
    RHS14 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 01:34 PM

I know how you feel I have been cheering for 8 years and I still sometimes feel like I am not good but I go out there and give it my all and that's all that matters is that you do your personal best.
    kaylafkdf Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Aug 22, 2010, 07:46 PM

I know how you feel girl. But even though its my 5th year of cheer I'm still nervous... just don't look at you coach. Look right past her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cheerleader Drama! [ 6 Answers ]

Does every squad have the drama we do at my school?? Lol its getting down right retarded. Lol the people at my school always told me I wouldn't like cheerleading because its nothing but drama and now I kind of see what they are talking about!

I need to know how to be a high school cheerleader and fast.I only have ONE WEEK [ 2 Answers ]

My friend and I were going to tryout for rcheerleading for next summer but we found out that we didn't miss tryouts for this year so I have ONE WEEK to learn how to do a split, cartwheel, backhand springs and all the other important stuff I would need to make a high school cheer squad!! So if any...

How long does it take to become a cheerleader? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey guys! I'm new here and I have some questions about cheerleading :) I am 16 years old and I want to be a cheerleader at my high school (I am going to be a junior this year). I have wanted to be a cheerleader for a few years now but could never do it for economic reasons, but since I turned 16...

Varsity Cheerleader [ 9 Answers ]

Ohla! Hi, my name is feistabarbie,and I am completely clueless when it comes to cheerleading! So I hope you guys can help me out and answer or give opinion on my questions! Okay , here is my question.In about a year I will be trying out for VArsity cheerleader.I have never been a cheerleader,...

Wannabe Me [ 2 Answers ]

Recently there has been someone on the internet acting like me and calling himself by my name. He chats to people on MSN Messenger and picks fights with people. These people come to me when they see me and are very mad at me. I try to tell them that it was not me but they just keep coming an I...

View more questions Search