Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjlex Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 11:37 AM
    How to sell a car belonging to my friend
    My friend helped me bought a car, but this car is bought in my friend's name. That is, although I paid everything, this car belongs to my friend lawfully. Now my friend is moving to other state. I'm wondering how can I sell this car when later I leave this state too. Is it enough that my friend leave me an authorization for selling the car? Can somebody give me any suggestions?

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Why doesn't your friend just sign over the title to you. Your local DMV can tell you how.

Jul 28, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Thanks for the response!

You mean we can change the title without actual selling the car?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Not sure about all jurisdictions, but I don't think most will transfer the title without a sale.

He could sell you the car for $50.00, thus limiting the amount of tax you will have to pay.

He might even be nice enough to write you a bill of sale, and happen to forget about getting the $50 from you??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2008, 04:00 PM
    At least, in NYS you can transfer title without money changing hands. Check with your local DMV.

Jul 28, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Thanks a lot for you guys suggestions!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slept with my neighbour/friend/ex's friend/he has a girlfriend [ 20 Answers ]

So I was drinking at my friends house when he showed up just in time to give me a ride home and we've lived across the road from each other for quite some time now and we were friends in grade 7 until now... we're both 19. I had a great night with him we were up until 6 and woke up at 9: 30 to do...

I fall in love with my best friend he still considers me just dear friend can I chang [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know if I can change the way he loves me , knowing that he always loves to talk with me Can this change? Can we become good couple? Thanks all...

Documents belonging to someone else filed on the wrong account [ 1 Answers ]

While reviewing an account it was discovered that the documents that are stored in this file belong to someone else. Is this a HIPAA violation?

Identity and Belonging [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I am suppose to draw on ideas from this single prompt: "It is important to our sense of self to feel as if we belong" So far I have came up with: -It is important because it gives us a purpose in life as we aren't left alienated because we have associations with people as a...

Private deal with Friend she gave no paper work to sell [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I bought a modular home in 1999 privately from a friend's mom and was given a photocopy of a BOS for $1 and told that this would do. What did we know we did not use lawyers and they were friends. Her mother died and they moved to Florida. We live in NY now we want to sell and get...

View more questions Search