Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jul 28, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Mouse not working
    I have a HP laser, wired mouse when connected it lights but will not move cursor on screen. I have tried disconnecting . Since there is no roller ball is there something to clean?? Or is it time to replace mouse.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Check the connection between the cable and your CPU. I once had that problem with my old computer.

Jul 28, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Thanks for the response. I have unplugged and replugged and the cursor does not move at all. I know with the roller kind you can take out the ball and clean the junk off the contacts. But do not see anything to clean.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Before you buy one, borrow one. Plug in another mouse from somewhere and make sure the known working mouse works when put in place. It could be your computer's OS, mouse driver, or even the motherboard ps/2 port where you plug the mouse in.

Check the mouse by borrowing one, or taking your mouse to someone else's computer and trying it on theirs.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 07:08 PM
    OK, then you know your old mouse just died. No biggie, buy a new one or keep using the old one you dug up...
    ahmetarik Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Did they give a setup cd with the mouse? If they did do the setup. Maybe it can solve the problem. If the problem isn't solved check the usb port. Maybe it is not working ?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 31, 2008, 09:04 AM
    In addition to above:

If you have a USB hub, disconnect the mouse from it and connect it directly to the PC's USB port.

Make sure that the surface your mouse sits on (mouse pad, desktop, etc.) is not shiney. It needs to be a dull surface or the light from the mouse will bounce all over the place.

The area where the light is on the mouse needs to be free of debree. If you have a pankster in the house, make sure they did not stick tape on it. My colleagues have resorted to this a few times.

Jul 31, 2008, 04:08 PM
    I sprayed some canned air in where the light is an wiped with a q-tip and it seems to be working . Maybe build up of furniture polish. Better get a mouse pad. Thanks for the tips,
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:35 AM
    You're welcome, and glad you solved your problem :)
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:36 AM
    You're welcomed! Glad you solved your problem:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop mouse not working [ 3 Answers ]

My laptop mouse is somehow locked and I can not click on anything what should I do

Mouse not working [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Dell Lap top Inspiron 5100 and my mouse pad and buttons on pad have all quit working do you have an answer why this may be happeining? I am very painfully learing how to use this lap top with out a mouse at all, just keyboard. I hope I can figure out how to send this now that I got this...

Installing mouse w/o a mouse [ 1 Answers ]

My mouse went out on an old computer and I have tried installing new software using only keystrokes to no avail. Everything I try comes back to the same problem -- not having a mouse. I can't uninstall the old software w/o a mouse. I'm lost. Suggestions appreciated. Ed

Mouse still working after hibernating [ 1 Answers ]

I have an asus motherboard P4V800-X , when I go to hibernate , the mouse still works and when I move it or press any key on the keyboard the computer works I want to disable this option because some time I move the mouse accidentally , and I don't won't the computer to work

View more questions Search