Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Can you have someone committed for depression and thoughts of suicide
    How can you have someone committed into a hospital for depression and thoughts of suicide? She has lost her kids, her boyfriend beats her every other day and she blames family for all that has gone wrong. Won't admit to police about boyfriend and now says she is going to kill herself by the 20th of Aug. if she doesn't get her children back. What can be done
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Are you saying Children's Services took her kids and she refuses to do anything about her boyfriend in her life -like will not kick him out?

Her threats to kill herself will back fire at getting her kids back too!
    chat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Yes she lives with him and when police go there she lies and says he did not beat her. They do nothing. So her mother called to get help and social services took kids and won't give back unless she leaves him. She left him the other day after a beating but he came and got her that night and now won't talk to family
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Basically Children's Services KNOW she is in denial so there is no two ways around the fact that if she does not get help by complying to the things they told her she has to do to they will never give her her kids back.
    I can tell you right off the top their first two requirements are
    1. Getting her boyfriend OUT of her life and a restraining orde
    2. Taking domestic abuse classes

Her not doing these two things then to CPS she is choosing her boyfriend over her kids even if she does not see it that way.

I do not think you can get somebody committed against their consent unless some drastic measures where involved and then it has to be already in crisis mode for the most part.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Depends on the state, but in GA, three family members signing or her doctor signing that she is a threat to herself, can be committed for 24 hours for a review, if they find reason to keep her, she would be held for an additoinal 72 hours before a formal hearing is done.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 02:45 PM
    It sounds to me like she feels she deserves to be treated very badly and that serves some kind of emotional need she has. She still wants to be saved from herself because she gave everyone a date in the future for her suicide. I have a feeling drugs andor alcohol have something to do with this situation.

She is a very very sick woman. I don't think she is able to help herself positively at this time.

Can you and her friends do an "intervention" with her? Contact a local AA or NA group for help, perhaps.

Best wishes to you,
    GothGirl1771 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Sep 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Get her to the ER! Suicidal threats cannot be taken lightly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get someone committed? [ 10 Answers ]

Just that... how would I get someone committed?

How do I get someone committed? [ 22 Answers ]

My mother has had clinical depression for as long as I can remember but she has also been aggressive, threatening and vindictive for that long too. She does things to people in the family that I wouldn't even want to type here and then thinks that THEY are in the wrong. She is a threat to herself...

Weed+lies=depression and suicide atempts [ 9 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a year and a half now. He smokes weed and I know most people don't have a problem with weed but I do and it's a big one too. I know everyone here needs answers but I am desperate for any kind of advice. The addiction didn't bother me the first year but...

How am I supposed to overcome depression and suicidal thoughts/feelings? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, well I've been depressed for quite a long time now and yesterday, my mum said that she didn't really love our family and I replied, "oh ok then, I'll just go and die" and she goes, "yeah....I'd rather be alone with the dog". How the hell am I supposed to overcome this with her saying stuff like...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

View more questions Search