Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    treborc Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 04:06 PM
    How many turns can a lavatory drain take
    I have a bathroom project I am working on and as I understand I can have minor drains come into the main one as long as they are vented. Is this correct?

The way the bathroom ended up being laid out the toilet is the farthest from the point where the stub comes up out of the concrete in the basement. In order for it to get there it will run north between the joist for 14 feet then turn down 9 inches to get under the joist and then make a 90 degree turn to the east and run 9 feet. From there it will turn back north 90 for a foot and then turn down drop 8 feet to the stub coming out of the slab. Are there too many turns?

Also this bathroom is an addition to my house that is only one story but it is directly next to the two-story portion there are windows that open to a second floor bedroom is it OK to vent out this roof?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2006, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by treborc
    I have a bathroom project I am working on and as I understand I can have minor drains come into the main one as long as they are vented. Is this correct?

The way the bathroom ended up being laid out the toilet is the farthest from the point where the stub comes up out of the concrete in the basement. In order for it to get there it will run north between the joist for 14 feet then turn down 9 inches to get under the joist and then make a 90 degree turn to the east and run 9 feet. From there it will turn back north 90 for a foot and then turn down drop 8 feet to the stub coming out of the slab. Are there too many turns?

Also this bathroom is an addition to my house that is only one story but it is directly next to the two-story portion there are windows that open to a second floor bedroom is it ok to vent out this roof?
    You have me a little confused. Your heading says lavatory but your post says toilet. It doesn't make much difference which one it is. With that many bends I would install a least two cleanout tees because with that many bends and doglegs you're going to need them. Would it be possible to straighten the run out a tad?
    You ask," I can have minor drains come into the main one as long as they are vented. Is this correct?"
    That's correct.
    "Also this bathroom is an addition to my house that is only one story but it is directly next to the two-story portion there are windows that open to a second floor bedroom is it ok to vent out this roof?"
    Section 1494.4 and 5 Chapter 14 0f The Standard Plumbing Code says that NO vent terminal shall be located directly beneath any door, window or other ventilating opening of the building. Also no vent shall be within 10 feet horizontally of any such opening unless it's at least 2 feet above the top of such opening. In addition you MAY NOT terminate a vent under the overhang of the building.
    That's what the book says. Good luck, Tom
    treborc Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 07:46 PM
    Thank you for the reply I have decided to forget worrying about the pipe running across the room and do as you said Straighten it out a bit. It will now drop down right from the toilet and the sink will join in during this drop of 18 inches which is what it will take to get the 3 inch drain pipe under a beam that runs threw the center of that room. Then run it at a angle facing North East 16 feet to where the 3 inch stub comes up out of the floor and then just turn it down to the stub. This sound like a better solution?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by treborc
    Thank you for the reply I have decided to forget worrying about the pipe running across the room and do as you said Straighten it out a bit. It will now drop down right from the toilet and the sink will join in during this drop of 18 inches which is what it will take to get the 3 inch drain pipe under a beam that runs threw the center of that room. Then run it at a angle facing North East 16 feet to where the 3 inch stub comes up out of the floor and then just turn it down to the stub. This sound like a better solution?
    Anything's better then the way you had it set up. If you can why not install a cleanout at the bottom of the 18" drop. It may save you the hassle of pulling the toilet if you have to snake the line. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lavatory sink not flat? [ 4 Answers ]

We're replacing a lavatory sink, and it appears that the bottom of the new sink is not flat. It rocks from side to side nearly 1/8 of an inch. It's a 19" round Gerber vitreous china sink. If we spin the sink 90 deg, it still rocks from side to side (relative to the sink, that is). Is this sort...

Lavatory trap to wall connection [ 2 Answers ]

Tom - This is a real amateur question, but I can't seem to find the answer in my books. I'm installing a pedestal sink in profile opposite the bath door and need to connection to look good. The drain line is 2" PVC . I have a 1.5" chrome trap and can't figure out how to attach it to the drain...

Lavatory drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new lavatory in proximity to a toilet 2" vent pipe. Is it okay to tie the lavatory drain to the toilet vent pipe?

Lavatory pop up stopper [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new large Kohler sink installed in the bathroom. The pop up stopper can be twisted and pulled out. I've got the pivot rod piercing the eyelet of the stopper and I've tightened the retaining nut, but with minimal twist, the stopper just comes out of the drain. I would think that the pivot...

What turns me on! [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best FREEEEE! Web site where you can watch free clips/movies of lesbians kissing and is free of spyware. I want to know because when I watch lesbians making out it really turns me onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!! So I want to know the best web site to watch for freeee!! ;) :) :) :D

View more questions Search