Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jud423 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 03:27 AM
    Garnishing A Joint Bank Account
    Can a joint bank account be garnished by the IRS or Family Court or anybody else? The primary person on the account does not owe anything but the co-applicant does owe family court and the IRS.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Jes, as long as one owner is the debtor the entire account can be attached. You may be able to get it back if you can prove all the funds were depositied by the non-debtor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishing/bank account [ 4 Answers ]

I was served a summons yesterday. The summons basically said that my bank was the garnishee, and the amount was about $710. I called my checking account and it had been frozen. My question is- when does the money actually come out of my checking account? It will be a huge inconvenience and I...

Bank Account Levy, joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Today, a levy was placed on the joint account of myself and my wife, for a debt she had from a credit card company. Once I found out, I called her and had her call the lawyer, who then told her to dispute it, she would have to send a certified letter to the court, as well as the plaintiff, as to...

Garnishing joint account [ 4 Answers ]

Can a joint bank account be garnished in Ga when a judgement is against only one party? It's a husband and wife personal checking account.

Garnishing Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

Can a debt collector or credit card company garnish my business bank Account for unsecured credit card debts if the Bank Account is only a DBA and the credit card debts is in my personal name?

View more questions Search