Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jl_678 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Ice build up on Sub-Zero 361RFD -- Fix or replace
    Hi,

I have a 361RFD Sub-Zero that came with my house when I bought it. The unit is over 20 years old. We have recently had a problem with massive ice build-up on the back of the refrigerator side. We had a repair man come in who first melted off the ice and then reviewed the situation and he first indicated that we needed a major repair. (I think the evaporator coil or perhaps the condenser. The total cost for the repair and part was estimated to be $1,200. I think that he said that the part was about half of this.) I said that I needed to think about it due to the excessive cost. He indicated that this was an urgent repair and that the unit could die a rapid death if something was not done. (I believe that he recharged the unit before he left and indicated that it would extend the units life, but that the repair still had to be made shortly or the unit would stop functioning.) He then found another component that he thought was at fault which was a faulty temperature sensor and said that the component made the unit run consistently and probably was causing the problem. He left having fixed the faulty component and indicated that he thought we might have solved the problem.

Here we are 3 weeks later after the first repair and ice is beginning to build up again. If his advice is accurate then it means that I need to spend $1,200 ASAP or risk that the unit dies and all my food goes bad. This brings me to my questions:

1. Does his diagnosis sound correct?
    2. Does his estimated price make sense for the diagnosis?
    3. If $1,200 is indeed the cost, would it make more sense to just buy a new (non Sub-Zero) refrigerator?
    4. Are there any other options I should be considering?

TIA for any thoughts on this.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 09:36 PM
    None of this sounds right. I have a Subzero but I have the freezer drawer below therefore I don't know evaperator coil is. He couldn't/wouldn't have repaired. He would replace and they don't cost $600, They are expensive by not that expensive. A leaking coil would cause you to loose freon and cooling to would stop but would not cause icing on back of refrigerator unless coil is located behind wall. Sounds like you have a faulty defrost timer.

Locate defrost timer, will be a black box about 2" square, have 2 to 4 wires connecting and be held in place by a couple screws. In the center will be a hole with the end of a shaft showing. Shaft will have a slot for screwdriver. Slot will be such that you can only turn it clock wise. Turn maybe 1/4 turn. Should feel/hear clicking. Refrigerator should eventually go into defrost stage. If so replace defrost timer. If not get another service man. Take that back and just say, if you need a service man get someone else, this one got too much you know what.
    meagank Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Aug 24, 2008, 01:06 PM
    This price he gave you to repair this is out rageus if you want ti reparid I would call for a second oppion but then you will have more money into or if you trust him of what he told you was wrong I would call the company that made the sub zero and buy the aprt my slef and then call a repair man to put it in as it would save you some money there as he is probley over chageing you for the aprt but then again if this is 20 years old there is a verry good posibility that the part you are gooing to need is no longer aviable and this has exceded its life span I think your best bet would to buy a new one since this ahs exced its life span and you throw all your money into for the repair there is a good change that somehting else is gooing to go out on it soon also after the new repair then that's more money your are throwing into and by the time your done the repair cost will be much greater then a new one
    tbrennan2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 02:12 PM
    I have a sub zero. I just had a authorized repair man replace evaporator coil for 700 less 200 sub zero kick-in and free coil. I find this outrageous. Thje repair man was in and out within an hour. I spent a lot of money to buy a depenable unit - not to be bilked later by repairmen.

I have a sub zero. I just had a authorized repair man replace evaporator coil for 700 less 200 sub zero kick-in and free coil. I find this outrageous. Thje repair man was in and out within an hour. I spent a lot of money to buy a depenable unit - not to be bilked later by repairmen.

copperbreen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2012, 08:06 PM
    I was just quoting out the same repair and yes that sounds like the system has a leak and it is almost always on the evaporator with these sub zero refrigerators. I'm usually the first one to admit that repairs can get pricy but I think they are a little high on the quote. I am quoting the repair right now for $500 including the part and not getting any kickback from Sub Zero either. It really only takes an hour to do the repair if you are really good or have a helper. I would call a couple of companies and ask for a price on an evaporator coil replacement parts, labor and materials.
    Bobby, The Service Depot
    copperbreen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
    Just to Clarify, The reason for the frost is a low charge because this refrigerator has separate systems for the freezer and refrigerator. The refrigerator is usually charged to 25 psig which if you relate that to temp. it is about 25 degrees F. Which when the coil is at that temp the frost won't build up due to it coming on and going off the average temp is above freezing so not frost just condensation. But take the pressure down and the temp drops too causing frost! These don't even have defrost systems in the refrigerator side.
    Bobby,
    The Service Depot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ice build up [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find the drain pan on a GE profile side by side refrigerator. Getting water from bottom.

Ice build up [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my question is will a dirty filter cause ice to build up on my lines running to the outside a/c unit. I also noticed I need to re-insulate the line outside as it is cracked and weathered. My wife said she noticed freezing and ice at points where the insulation was cracked.

How do you build? [ 1 Answers ]

How do u build a ramp that slants up than it goes flat then back down?

Ear Build-Up [ 1 Answers ]

When I first got my cat she had been a stray and was very dirty in her nose, eyes and ears. I've cleaned her up and shes been fine but I just noticed a kind of build-up in her ear of brown crusty stuff and I got a little out with a Q-tip but I know how sensitive cat's ears are so I dont wanna hurt...

Help to build a PC [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I want to build my own pc from scratch including new tower etc. Does anyone out there have a simple step by step quide on how to do it. I want help and advice on everything from choosing the right motherboard to once finished how to format it etc. I would also like to hear what...

View more questions Search