Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetebrry7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2008, 07:02 PM
    16 yr old dating 23 yr old illegal or not?
    I'm 16 turning 17 in dec. Im dating this 23 yr old who lives in CA and I live in NY is it oe is it not illegal for me to be dating him? A bunch of people say oh that's illagal. Some sya it's not. My parents have no problem with me dating him and of course I'm not going to meet him until I graduate school and we have not touched or kissed or had sex all we've done is talk. He has not asked me to meet him or strip not have I like wise. But it is still illegal or not..
    Diane Carol Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Jul 27, 2008, 07:45 PM
    I'm a Canadian... live in Ontario... all my life in Toronto. If it had been illegal for what you are asking in my circumstances, then I'm guilty. I dated my husband when I was just 17... he was 23... he kids me and others that he robbed the cradle.

That was 48 years ago next 15th of August. He had gray hair at that time... had it in high school. Dad thought he was older than he showed. So much for what's on top.
    Its what's in the person to make the difference. He still has that gray hair.

I suppose some states might be behind their times in the legality of such age... but dating is not the same thing as... other things.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 07:54 PM
    To me it sounds like you are only having an online conversation, and only when these conversation turn sexual has he done anything wrong. So be careful and all things should be OK. But things might change before you reach 18, you will say no that won't happen but I have lived through it and I know better.
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Jul 27, 2008, 08:10 PM
    If it's not, It should be!
    KissMe10der Posts: 306, Reputation: 22

Jul 27, 2008, 10:21 PM
    I believe that 16 is consent for anyone under 18. At least in MI... It does sound life its an online thing... So, you should be OK. I'm sorrie to say... that's a long time to wait for someone to meet them. Honestly, long distance relationships are HARD. Your young, don't tie yourself up someone you can touch or feel or go out and have fun with... I don't say this to be mean at all.. I just know from experience.
    sweetebrry7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Well thanks for the help. As of the 29th tomorrow we will be together for 2 yrs.. And we both said we would always wait and I believe in him and I love him and he loves me.. Thanks though.. And by the way I don't think it should be illegal..

Yu can't help who you fall in love with first and second I have soemthing some people will NEVER have.. so I'm happy and idc thanks
    speed797 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetebrry7
    I'm 16 turning 17 in dec. Im dating this 23 yr old who lives in CA and i live in NY is it oe is it not illegal for me to be dating him? A bunch of ppl say oh thats illagal. soem sya it's not. My parents have no problem with me dating him and of course im not gonna meet him til i graduate school and we have not touched or kissed or had sex all we've done is talk. he has not asked me to meet him or strip not ahve I like wise. But it is still illegal or not..
    It is not illegal to date someone who is under 18 when you are legally an adult or vice versa as long as you don't kiss or have sex. Since you are just talking it is not illegal.
    Rabbit91 Posts: 74, Reputation: -5
    -

Jul 28, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetebrry7
    I'm 16 turning 17 in dec. Im dating this 23 yr old who lives in CA and i live in NY is it oe is it not illegal for me to be dating him? A bunch of ppl say oh thats illagal. soem sya it's not. My parents have no problem with me dating him and of course im not gonna meet him til i graduate school and we have not touched or kissed or had sex all we've done is talk. he has not asked me to meet him or strip not ahve I like wise. But it is still illegal or not..
    Sweet heart don't do this, don't date a guy 7 years older then you who lives so far away. No its not illegal but why would you do it?

Be careful k?
    flash84x Posts: 55, Reputation: 7

Jul 29, 2008, 05:01 PM
    You've never met? I would say do not waste your youth in an online relationship with someone on the other end of the country

Illegal or not, I personally do not think it is healthy, regardless of age, you need to learn and grow with physical interaction which you can't get over the internet...

I do not want to discourage your future with this person, it may very well be meant to be... but you have a lot of time to figure that out
    will1265 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Actually there is no law that says someone can not date anyone of any age. The consent law is for sex not for dating. Although disgusting, a 11 year old could date a 50 year old as long as there was no kissing or touching, although the parents would probably cuts off the guys balls
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Aug 4, 2008, 09:42 PM
    How about DROP the relationship and find others around you?

I wonder why a 23 year old is interested in a 16 year old... hmm
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 4, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Age of consent in NY is 17. So once your 17 I think its legal, as long as he comes to see you in NY, but since he doesn't live in ny I'm not sure if that affects it

Aug 4, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE
    age of consent in NY is 17. so once your 17 i think its legal, as long as he comes to see you in NY, but since he doesnt live in ny im not sure if that affects it
    It's a long distance relationship between a 23 year old and a 17 year old...

That does not sound right at all.

Aug 4, 2008, 10:49 PM
    She asked if it was illegal or not, so I answered the question

Aug 4, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE
    she asked if it was illegal or not, so i answered the question
    It is illegal in California. Age of consent is 18.

Aug 4, 2008, 11:34 PM
    I didn't know AOC in CA, so I said to make it legal he would have to come to her or w/e when she's 17
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 06:05 AM
    You can talk to anybody you want the thing is make sure they are not an internet predator.
    The age of consent for California is 18 so you can not have sexual relations with anybody over 18. New York is 17. Also in many states where the age of consent is 16 or 17 they have a gap provision where you can not be sexual with anybody more than 4 yrs older than you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

17 dating a 26 year old. Is it illegal [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 17 about to turn 18 and am dating a 26 year old and my family is threatening to call the cops on him. Is it illegal? Can he go to jail because of me?

Illegal dating? [ 13 Answers ]

M 17 and a girl that I like and likes me back is 13. We have know each other a long time now and want to go out, but we don't know if it is illegal or not. Her parents are fine with us dating and are actually happy about it. We aren't going to have sex. The most we will do is kiss. Is there...

Illegal Dating? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the state of California. I am 18, and I understand that it is illegal for me to have sex with anyone under 18 here. But, is it illegal for me to date a 15 year old if there is no sex involved?

Illegal dating? [ 8 Answers ]

Is it illegal for a eighteen year old to Date a fourteen year old in Georgia?

View more questions Search