Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cubit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Front concrete steps
    I have a big space under my front concrete step that is attached to the house (the mud has settled over time, I believe) and its actually suspended over the ground. Roughly a six inch space at the front that gradually slopes downward toward the house (about 18 inches) Should I add more mud to raise it up to the bottom of my step or not?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Fill cavity with concrete.

Fill to above bottom edge of step. Use a length of 2x4 to joggle the concrete, just poke it with the 2x4, to cause the concrete to run under the step and settle up against the bottom of the step. Place a 1x4 or 1x5 board flat against the step and push and work it down into the concrete. Allow concrete to firm slightly, remove excess concrete down to bottom edge of board or to with in 1". Allow concrete to dry or almost dry. Remove board, cover concrete with dirt up to bottom edge of step. Might have to prop board if the concrete has not firmed up enough when you remove the excess.

Jul 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Fill cavity with concrete.

Fill to above bottom edge of step. Use a length of 2x4 to joggle the concrete, just poke it with the 2x4, to cause the concrete to run under the step and settle up against the bottom of the step. Place a 1x4 or 1x5 board flat against the step and push and work it down into the concrete. Allow concrete to firm slightly, remove excess concrete down to bottom edge of board or to with in 1". Allow concrete to dry or almost dry. Remove board, cover concrete with dirt up to bottom edge of step. Might have to prop board if the concrete has not firmed up enough when you remove the excess.

OK Great, is that saying I should fill with concrete and let it flow up against the house, and enough of it to put concrete into the upper cavity of the steps a little bit?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Yes, you want the concrete to support the step, else eventually the step will break away from the house.

Jul 28, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Yes, you want the concrete to support the step, else eventually the step will break away from the house.

Thank you very kindly, and thanks for the quick response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pouring concrete over a concrete front porch [ 1 Answers ]

Our front porch has dropped about and inch and a half on the back edge--where the front door is. We would like to pour concrete to level the porch and bring it up an inch or so on the door edge, and maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch on the front edge. Then we would like to place porcelain tile on the porch....

Fixing concrete steps? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I renting a two family flat in Michigan. Recently, a huge hole has appeared on the concrete step outside the home. My landlord states that it cannot be fixed because it is winter here in Michigan. I disagree. I informed her that she probably can't repair the step but it probably can...

Concrete steps crumbling away on top. [ 3 Answers ]

My mothers concrete steps are breaking up on the top and the steps are at least 40 years old. Do you think if I chipped away the weak concrete on top and resurfaced them they would last or would the older concrete deteriorate underneath the resurfaced step? If resurfacing is the best choice, what...

Repairing concrete steps [ 2 Answers ]

How would I fix front porch steps where the slab has broken but under the steps it is empty how would I fill this and not spend too much money? What would I use to support the slab?

Fixing Concrete Steps - Front Porch [ 3 Answers ]

It appears that the front step on my house has settled and dropped about 6 - 8 inches from where it was originally attached to the front of the house. The house is about 20 years old with a slanted front yard and this took place long before we moved in. Originally my plan was to just add another...

View more questions Search