Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    Yep. Throughout scripture, the Rock is Jesus.
    EXACTLY!!

That is precisely why Jesus named Simon, Rock. Because Simon is Jesus' representative.

This is not new. God did it before. When he sent Moses to Pharoa, God said:

Exodus 7 1 And the Lord said to Moses: Behold I have appointed thee the God of Pharao: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

In the same way, Jesus has appointed Simon His representative and has given Him a name which represents the role He will play:

John 21 17 He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Simon is to be the Vicar of Christ. Christ's representative on earth. Jesus could not have been clearer of His intent than giving Simon a name which up to that point had only been used to designate God:

2 Kings 22 2 And he said: The Lord is my rock, and my strength, and my saviour.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777
    Yes, He built the Mystical body of Christ which has become known as the Roman Catholic Church on a stone. Makes His miracles even more amazing doesn’t it?
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    NO!! HOW???

Follow the links (in red) - I've already explained.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    EXACTLY!!!!

That is precisely why Jesus named Simon, Rock. Because Simon is Jesus' representative.
    Only if one doesn't translate correctly and doesn't understand the verbal communication that was going on at the time.
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:31 PM
    The Spiritual Rock in the wilderness

The KJV used the Petra form for Jesus.
    But not as a name.

Jesus renamed Simon. The KJV also uses the Petra form for Peter, in Matt 16:18.

Watch:

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter (petros), and upon this rock (petra) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

In other words, the name of that petra is Petros. The name of that Rock is Peter.

See, you guys pretend that Jesus changed boats in the middle of the stream.

Lets rewind to the beginning of that scene:

13 And Jesus came into the quarters of Cesarea Philippi: and he asked his disciples, saying: Whom do men say that the Son of man is? 14 But they said: Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15 Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am?

First Jesus is speaking to all the disciples and asks a question. They each take turns answering but...

Matt 16 16 Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God.

Then, Simon confesses that Jesus is the Son of God.

17 And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven.

Here Jesus is talking to Simon and explaining that Simon is blessed because the Father has revealed this to him.

18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus continues praising him. Now, why would Jesus say, "thou are Peter" and then change venue and point to himself and say, "AND on this rock, myself, I will build my Church and then turn around and focus back to Peter and continue...

19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven.

And give Peter the keys.

And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

And the authority to bind on earth and in heaven?

Why the discontinuity which you describe? It makes no sense.

Especially since God has previously assigned men to represent Him to other men.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:37 PM
    I understand Jesus renamed Peter and it means he was a representative or 'little rock'
    Sort of like Jesus tells us we are a part of the body.
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:37 PM

I tried the first two, there's nothing from you in those pages. I'm not going to go through the whole list in order to see where you stand when you can simply respond directly. After all, it is you who addressed me. Not I who sought out your input.

So, if you're a believer and you want to discuss this issue with me, where do you stand on this topic?

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:39 PM
    I understand Jesus renamed Peter and it means he was a representative or 'little rock'
    sort of like Jesus tells us we are a part of the body.
    Well, I guess that is progress. Thanks for the input.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Only if one doesn't translate correctly and doesn't understand the verbal communication that was going on at the time.
    Please provide the correct translation and verbal communication as you see it that we may examine vis a vis what we've provided.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Jesus is πέτρα {Petra} The Rock and Peter {Petros} means a littler rock or a stone.

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art pet'ros (a stone), and upon this petra (πέτρα, ROCK, meaning upon Jesus Christ Himself) I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777
    Yes, He built the Mystical body of Christ which has become known as the Roman Catholic Church on a stone. Makes His miracles even more amazing doesn’t it?
    sort of like Jesus tells us we are a part of the body.
    Hello, Hello, EARTH to N0help4u. Follow Red links, Hello, Hello, EARTH to N0help4u. Follow Red links,
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:53 PM
    I thought they were just color high lighted bold I didn't know they WERE links. I saw you had
    Posted they were links later but I am doing too many things at once right now so I will read through them when I can concentrate better.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    EXACTLY!!

You can believe as you want, but Peter was not named the Rock. That would have been edging on blasphemous.

This is not new. God did it before. When he sent Moses to Pharoa, God said:

Exodus 7 1 And the Lord said to Moses: Behold I have appointed thee the God of Pharao: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.
    You need a better Bible translation.

Ex 7:1-2
    7:1 So the LORD said to Moses: "See, I have made you as God to Pharaoh, and Aaron your brother shall be your prophet.
    NKJV
    Simon is to be the Vicar of Christ. Christ's representative on earth.
    Jesus never left my church.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sola Scriptura vs Church, Sacred Tradition and Scripture [ 191 Answers ]

Hi TJ3, Correct if I'm wrong: As I understand, you believe in a doctrine called Sola Scriptura? Would you define the doctrine and show me where it is in Scripture? Sincerely, De Maria

The law of non contradiction [ 50 Answers ]

Why do others think the law of non contradiction proves christianity whereas irrationality does not

F1 -> H1B, resident/dual-status contradiction [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All. This is my first time in this forum. Though I have read a lot of the threads, this question is still controversial. I am on the same boat as a lot of the others. I was on OPT from June 27 to Sep 30, and on H1B from Oct 1 to Dec 31. However, there is a contradiction with the Sticky Note....

View more questions Search