Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andyhaus1057 Posts: 98, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Diff. Between "knowing" and "understanding"
    What is the difference between "knowing" and "understanding"?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 27, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Hello Andy !

You may know that 2 + 2 = 4. You have learned that at school with calculating.

But only if you know WHY 2 + 2 = 4 , than you understand the basics of calculation.

Knowing is related to learned facts.
    Understanding is related to why things are what they are !

:)
    niklas73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
    An analogy: When you were a child and got your first bicycle, and before you should take your first try on riding the bike your father told you how to do, with the instructions from you father and watching others ride a bike you had a good UNDERSTANDING of riding a bike. But you didn't KNOW how to ride a bike. First, after a lot of trial and error, laughing and crying, you finally was cycling on your own. Now you just didn't had a understanding of riding a bike now you KNEW how to ride a bike.
    niklas73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
    An analogy: When you were a child and got your first bicycle, and before you should take your first try on riding the bike your father told you how to do, with the instructions from you father and watching others ride a bike you had a good UNDERSTANDING of riding a bike. But you didn't KNOW how to ride a bike. First, after a lot of trial and error, laughing and crying, you finally was cycling on your own. Now you just didn't had a understanding of riding a bike now you KNEW how to ride a bike.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jul 4, 2010, 10:16 AM

When you understand something, you have reached that "aha" moment of discovery. You gained the insight of your knowledge.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 07:44 PM
    Thread is old .sorry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

How to take "energy balance in diff frame of references" [ 4 Answers ]

Imagine there are only three bodies in the universe 1> A gun 2> A bullet already fired 3> A wooden block which is target of the bullet and is stationary wrt gun before impact with the gun All the three observers associated(stationary) with three bodies will see impact then they should have...

View more questions Search