Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    absolutelastsn Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Kohler diverter stem (I think part #30139) won't shut off water to tub
    I have a kohler vavle body and I took off the diverter stem with the intention of replacing it, as I wanted to put universal fit handles on, and the end of the stem was worn down (see pics). This is a three handle system.

When I removed the stem, (after unscrewing the nut with a stem wrench) there was some resistance, so I took a wrench and put it on the stem and pulled. With a little force, the stem came out, I heard something sort of crack, and then something fell down the drain I think (I know, I forgot to plug up the drain.. stupid error).

Anyway, I think what cracked was this white teflon washer (see pics) in between the bonnet and the stem. (Pointed out in pics), and possibly that fell down the drain. I'm not sure, since I really don't see anything down the drain anyway.

When I put the old valve stem back in, water kept flowing to both the shower and tub, no matter what position it was in. So I took the stem back out, and put a new thicker washer on the end of it. Now, when I shut the water off to the shower head, it works 100% (no water to shower). However, when in the shower-only position, water flows out from tub spigot (about 30-40%.

Now.. at HD they said that white washer is really just a guide, and it doesn't serve to stop any water flow. They don't carry the stem, or any parts for it, but they said that my problem is probably the O ring, which looks fine to me. Is it possible something else (maybe a diverter washer) popped out when I pulled the stem out? If so, where does that go on the stem? Or do I put a washer in first then push in the stem?

Again, there was some resistance before I pulled the stem out, and now there isn't any.
    I think I need a stem washer as pictured here: Tubs and Showers, Informative and Ready to Work for You 610-789-0354 but I don't see one on the image of the new diverter part (as pictured).

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. Here is a stock pic of my diverter (except mine is all brass, and this one looks like its chrome, but it's the same one).

Jul 27, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Bump?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Hi absolute,

Click on the link below when it open you will your cartridge and the replacement for it, on top you will contact us call them they be able to help, Good luck.

John

Locke Plumbing
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 07:11 PM
    First you should never talk to people in HD about plumbing. Second when you put the stem back in you probably had the stem screw all the way in. The stem bottom out on the exit port and you stop screwing the stem into the valve. The stem could not screw in any farther to seal the port. Always install stems in the valve in the open position. The O ring seals between the stem body and the valve body. It has nothing to do with the operation of the diverter. The white stem washer serves the same function as the black washer. The black washer seals the port to the shower head and water flow through the diverter, out the holes and to the tub spout. When you open the diverter (turn counter clock wise) the white washer seals around the stem and water is directed to the shower. The white washer is not a "guide".

Take diverter stem to plumbing supply house that carried Kohler and purchase new diverter. Install in the open or "shower" position.

Should have not been difficult to remove, diverter washer was probably damaged, or distorted.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 04:56 AM
    I just wanted to agree with HKStraud - but the system won't allow me to. So I'll keep on "...gaining more reputation..." :D

HKStraud as very good point. It takes "few jobs" to arrive at this level of knowledge. Yes, diverter stem has 2 washers: white one and black one. They both are seal water one way or the other. Also, he gave you very good description how reinstall that stem.

And, Yes, there are no "Experts" at Home Depot...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Afroo, (John) did his homework and came up with Locke Plumbing and replacement stems. Click on Locke Plumbing to see.
    at HD they said that white washer is really just a guide, and it doesn't serve to stop any water flow.
    Well Harold blew that right out of da water.
    That's why big box salesmen aren't out there doing plumbing. Cheers, tom

Jul 29, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Just wanted to say thank you for all who helped. Got a new stem on Monday from a local plumbing supply shop for about the same price as Locke. This is a great board, with some great people on it. I've been reading posts for a while, and I know there were other questions about broken diverter valve stems, but what the guy said at HD about the white washer not doing anything threw me for a loop. He said it with so much conviction, I was guessing he must have been right, and I wanted to double check before I bought a whole new stem.

Anyway, thanks for your help, and I am in the process of a ton of DIY home renovations, so I am sure I will be a more active member going forward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove a Kohler diverter? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All~ I've got a Kohler K-169 single-handle kitchen faucet with a dysfunctional sprayer, and I can't figure out how to remove the diverter. I've removed the plastic nut that holds it in, so I can (almost, but not quite) get to the o-ring. Also, any advice on removing the valve would be...

Kohler 10412 what is the diverter [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kohler 10412 that the sprayer has some pressure of water but not a lot. I took apart faucet and have a valve # 1016515 but not sure if this is the diverter. Took it apart see nothing wrong. Took apart sprayer swee nothing wrong. The faucet never stop flowing of water when using sprayer....

I have a stem shower and can't get the hot water to shut off [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get my hot water to shut off in the bath. I believe it's a compression system with a stem.

Changing clogged Kohler Cartridge Stem or cleaning out? [ 1 Answers ]

Any info or suggestions on changing out a "kohler cartridge stem" on tub faucet... would be greatly appreciated. This is an older tub faucet that water ran fine out of until this winter after a "semi-freeze" and after the line broke loose it has been clogged... maybe with calcium? So I am trying...

Diverter Stem [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing seats and stems in tub/shower. The old one is Sterling--the new faucet set it a PricePfister. The PF diverter stem doesn't fit into the seat (the hot and cold stems do). Can I go to another size diverter with PF?

View more questions Search