Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 27, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Brown's gas (HHO) generator
    I did a simple experiment yesterday and want to throw this out to you to think about.
    I made a small electrode out of 4 stainless wall switch plates, immersed it in tap water and checked the resistance. It didn't measure stable, but after several seconds, was at 600 ohms. I then added salt to the solution, and found the resistance to be 400. Then I added bleach and the resistance went to zero.
    I knew that I couldn't run an electrode with 0 resistance, so I installed an automotive tail light bulb in the circuit. I tested the electrode in each of the 3 electrolytes, and seem to have the following conclusion. The HHO is produced by the passage of current through the electrolyte, apparently in the same or similar amounts regardless of the resistance of the electrode itself. EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO RESISTANCE, GAS IS FORMED.
    (I took a tip from Michael S. Johnston, whose work I found on the web, when he suggested that we think of the electrolyte as a "liquid wire".)
    Now I am thinking that if the electrode uses NO current, but passes all of it through to the load (bulb, resistor, etc.), what is to keep you from connecting as many electrodes as you may wish in series, generating gas from every one FOR THE SAME WATTAGE?

I know. This sounds way too simple, but just think about it for a while. I expect to do further tests before long.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 07:08 AM
    No offense, but I don't believe that the circuit through the water/salt/bleach mixtures has zero resistance. How did you measure that? If electrolysis is occurring, then work is being performed to break the hydrogen-oxygen bonds in the water, and this work must come from the electrical energy you are providing. The energy provided by the electrical circuit to perform this work is simply I^2R (current squared times the resistance the current is operating through). If R is zero, no work is performed by the electrical circuit, and hence elctrolysis can not occur.

Jul 29, 2008, 10:41 AM
    I checked the resistance with a multi meter and it was 0. When the current was applied, gas formed. I haven't gotten to the part where I can test for volume @ amps. The amps can be controlled readily.
    All discussion will be welcomed.
    I can't see how the 2nd law of thermodynamics applies to this. The electricity is not endowing the hydrogen with energy, it is only breaking the bond between the H and O. As long as we assume that no efficient way to do this is possible, it will not happen. Let's try to think outside the box and see what we can come up with.
    I have an idea or two, but want to hear from some of you first.

Jul 31, 2008, 01:39 PM
    UPDATE: For anyone interested in this subject, I found 2 US patents for HHO generators.
    Go to USPTO and search patents by number: 4936961 & 6126794

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car battery or car generator [ 4 Answers ]

How do you tell if you need a new generator or battery? t-you

Dan Brown's latest [ 1 Answers ]

Which s the Dan Brown's latest book? Is it solomen's key? If so when will it be released? :confused:

Generator Help [ 14 Answers ]

OK, next question. I have bought a 6000 watt generator. It has four 110 outlets and one 220 "twist style" outlet. What I want to do is wire it into my house temporarily during winter power outages. I know already it will not run my entire house. We have two sets of gas logs, so heat is not an...

How big of a Generator should I get? [ 7 Answers ]

Well Hurrican season is rolling around again and this year, I am considering getting the power generator to add to my supplies. My question is this. How much power do I need to power my refrigerator and a few lights and fans? My new fridge has a 652 kWh/year power rating (from the yellow...

View more questions Search