Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    res2216firestar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 01:58 PM
    My CD drive won't read CDs
    I looked for an answer online and asked the HP tech support, I couldn't find anything online, and the HP support wanted to sell me a new one, so now I found this website and could use some help. My CD drive has had a lot of trouble opening and closing, after awhile it wouldn't burn CDs, but just recently it stopped reading cds, it shows up in my computer, device manager says there's nothing wrong, but it won't read a brand new CD or any other CD. I tried a lens cleaner but it still doesn't work. The drive came with my hp pavilion 505n, it says it's called Cyberdrv CW088D CD-R/RW. Any help would be much appreciated.--Sam
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by res2216firestar
    My CD drive has had alot of trouble opening and closing
    Not normal operation.

...after awhile it wouldn't burn CDs
    Also, not normal operation.

...but just recently it stopped reading cds...it won't read a brand new CD or any other CD.
    A normally operating CD drive will read CDs.

I tried a lens cleaner but it still doesn't work
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest to you that the drive is failing/defective. It's a stretch, I know; but, $20-$30 at Newegg.com and 15 minutes of installation time will determine whether that's the case. If the new drive doesn't work, then you can roll up your sleeves and start individually testing the power supply, motherboard, other devices on the same cable, the cable and reinstalling software, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD drive won't read CDs. [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine all day today until I put in a newly burnt CD-R (burnt on another computer, by the way, this one is just a plain cdrom drive), a CD-R which seems to have been faulty (if that's possible). This CD had nothing but video files (no audio), but when I put it into the computer Windows...

Cd drive will not read CDs [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I recently went to install Hellgate : London but my CD drive won't read the disk, saying there is an empty disk in the drive, asking me if I want to format it. Please help, this problem is very annoying :(

DVD/CD Drive won't read ANYTHING now [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: HELP?! I have a brand new HP Media Center PC with VISTA that I LOVE and have had no problems in the past 5 months Iv'e owned it. Iv'e been burning everything on it like music, data, dvds, etc. without any snags at all. Today when I insert ANY type of disk, the drive closes and the LED...

My CD Drive won't read CDs! [ 28 Answers ]

It just won't run any discs, It opens and closes, but refuses to read. I have had the problem for a while but It never really bothered me... Until I just tried to install Morrowind. Now it's personal, and needs to be fixed. My parents will not do anything about it because "it doesn't concern them,...

View more questions Search