Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfr2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Mac G5 won't sleep
    My 1.8 dual processor G5 Powermac running 10.4.11 won't go to sleep on its own anymore. I have to use the sleep function from the blue apple menu which works OK. I've reloaded 10.4.11 but that didn't work. It has 2 internal drives. Everything is great with this machine except this new sleep problem. Any ideas anyone? Thanks!
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jul 27, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Sometimes certain input devices (keyboard, mouse, USB devices like hard drives etc) can cause this problem. You might try unplugging them one by one and restarting, checking each time to see if the Mac goes to sleep (i.e. when you unplug device X, restart, and the Mac goes to sleep on its own, it's a problem with device X). The other possibility is that your network connection is keeping it from sleeping; you might try disconnecting that, too, as a test.

The G5s are well-known for having sleep problems, so you're not alone if that's any consolation. And it's not just G5s; a lot of computers have problems with sleep, either refusing to sleep or waking up when they shouldn't.
    EasyCat3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jfr2008 View Post
    My 1.8 dual processor G5 Powermac running 10.4.11 won't go to sleep on its own anymore. I have to use the sleep function from the blue apple menu which works ok. I've reloaded 10.4.11 but that didn't work. It has 2 internal drives. Everything is great with this machine except this new sleep problem. Any ideas anyone? Thanks!
    Hello,

I bought my iMac G5 November 2004 with its original install disks which are OSX 10.3.5. I upgraded to OSX !0.4 and eventually to 10.4.11. I'm not sure when, but somewhere between 10.3.9 and 10.4.11, the G5 stopped going to sleep on its own.
    Last month a hardware glitch forced me to erase and reinstall from the G5's original OSX 10.3.5 disks (updated to 10.3.9). Ordered a 10.4 install disk by phone from Apple, so for a few weeks I was running 10.3.9 and it WENT TO SLEEP as scheduled. After I installed 10.4, with the same printer, keyboard and mouse, it won't go to sleep unless, as quoted above, I use the "sleep" option from the Apple menu.
    So, in my case, anyway, the failure to sleep seems to be related to some version of 10.4 versus 10.3 and the iMac G5.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Apr 20, 2009, 12:15 PM

Try unplugging anything that may be pluggrd in to any audio out or headphone jacks.
    EasyCat3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmeeks View Post
    Try unplugging anything that may be pluggrd in to any audio out or headphone jacks.
    Alas, I have nothing plugged in to any audio out or heaadphone jack. BUT if I Quit Eudora, the iMac G5 goes to sleep on schedule. I seem to remember reading that Eudora wasn't offering updates for Tiger.. . they, or their new parent company, want us to buy new Eudora versions.. . Anyone else heard that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never can sleep [ 5 Answers ]

I posted before and from what I said before I still haven't gotten much better. I did get an apartment with a friend and I will move in, in August. So that is good. But I can't sleep. Ever. Some days I have to wake up early and I get painfull headaches through out the day but I still can't sleep at...

No sleep [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, M here again to discuss and get some way out from my problem... the problem now m having is about my mom.she is 43 years old and she is having no sleep during night.she feels sleep at 3 am in the morning.now a days she is going through many problems,home problems from financial to children...

Sleep For Mac [ 4 Answers ]

Refuses to SLEEP automatically. Difficult to SLEEP manually. When I do get it to SLEEP, free zes when awakened.

Can't sleep [ 10 Answers ]

For the past 5 yrs I have been waking up in the middle of the night to eat. I usually wake up every hour on the hour. I've tried tylenol PM's Advil PM's Niquil and nothing will keep me asleep. Any sugestions ( besides seeing a DR.)

I can't sleep. [ 13 Answers ]

I have started staying up to 7 AM. The next day it was 8 AM. Next day it was 9 AM. Next day it was 5 hours later (2 PM). I really need to start going to bed early again (at least 11:30). I have a lot to do and I have to start waking up at a normal time. The only problem is I can't.. Its like...

View more questions Search