Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevinonline Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 02:10 AM
    How should a h1-b holder file tax return?
    I got hi-b visa and arrived and worked in New York at November 1,2005.
    How should I file tax return? How many kinds of taxes should I pay? Which forms should I use?
    I only know the deadline of 2005 income tax return is July 17,2006.
    Thank you very much.
    kevinonline Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 02:23 AM
    I am new in USA and here, I need help.
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 04:53 AM
    The deadline is April 17, Not July. Most likely you'll need to pay only income taxes. You'll need to use either 1040 or 1040NR.

Were you an F-1 student before you got H1B? When did you come to the US?

Vaya
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2006, 07:12 AM
    You will file Form 1040NR (as a non-resident alien), because you have not qualified for the Substantial Presence Test.

You may have the option of filing as a resident alien, but you will have to wait until July 2006 to file (you will need to file for an extension using Form 4868).

What country are you from and how much did you make in 2005?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file New York State Tax Return as Non Resident ? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for some advice about my state tax return. Thank you in advance for whoever can provide some guidance. I'm a french citizen and arrived in New York under a J-1 visa in July 2004. I filed as non resident for my 2004 tax return. In October 2005, I obtained the H1-B status....

Do I need to file for State Tax return? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student on an F-1 visa from india. I earned around $3000 in the 2004 calendar year. I will file for my Federal Tax returns, but do I need to file for my State tax too? I live in New York City, but my income was under the $7500 quota for a single individual. It is my...

What kinds of tax return should I file,when is the deadline of them [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I got h1-b visa, arrived and worked in usa in October,2005. I got one w-2. According to w-2 I paid five kinds of taxes:federal income tax,state(new york) income tax,local(new york) income tax, social security tax and medicare tax. I am wondering how many kinds of tax return I should file. I...

2nd Mortgage Holder did not file claim [ 2 Answers ]

Our Chapter 13 was confirmed in November 2005. We have a 1st and 2nd mortgage but our 2nd mortgage holder, Charter One, did not file a claim. So only our 1st mortgage is being paid through the plan. Does Charter One still have a lien since they did not file a claim within the 60 day period? ...

1.5 Months - Should I file tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im in H1B and came here last November. My SSN application got delayed and got it only on January. My company says even though you were paid, you shall not file tax returns for year 2005. That salary will be carried forward and will be treated together with the 2006 salary. They are planning...

View more questions Search