Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shan_Karthic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 05:11 PM
    L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A?
    I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ.

Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original visas and I-94 expired on 12/10/2005, we have I797A approval notices valid till 12/10/2007.

Do I enter the visa information that has expired or the current I797A information?

By the way, this is the first time I am doing the paper filing. Do I attach W2 with the returns?

Thanks,
    Shankar.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2006, 12:30 AM
    Shankar:

Put the current I797A information.

Yes, attach the W-2 to the returns.
    Shan_Karthic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Thanks,
    Shankar.
    jonathanann Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 08:28 PM
    Hi, if my wife was in US on L-2 visa, but did not apply for SSN while here... Now we left USA, don't plan to come back. How can we file jointly?
    Since she has expired visa now, can we apply for ITIN ? (she does not have a valid visa to be eligible for SSN)

Please help
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2011, 10:20 AM
    If you are eligible to file jointly, SHE is eligible for an ITIN, using her unexpired PASSPORT!
    jonathanann Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Hi, if my wife was in US on L-2 visa, but did not apply for SSN while here... Now we left USA, don't plan to come back. How can we file jointly?
    Since she has expired visa now, can we apply for ITIN ? (she does not have a valid visa to be eligible for SSN)

Please hel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self on H1 and spouse on H4. Filing tax first time [ 25 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US on H1B in Oct 2005. This is the first time I will be filing my taxes. I have a SSN no. I am a software engineer working in CT, USA. My spouse is on H4 and joined me in Dec 2005. We don't have any children. From what I have understood after reading other related links...

No ITIN For Spouse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Problems: 1) No ITIN For spouse. 2) Only 3 days remain to file taxes. 3) worked in 2 states(CA and NC) and I might owe about $10 in NC but will be receiving money in CA and Federal. 4) To claim standard deduction I need to wait until I get spouse's ITIN. One suggestion has been to...

Filing return for ITIN, ID Card requirements [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US in Apr-2006, couple of months back. I am on H1B I have a SSN no, and I have not filled my tax returns anytime. I am located in AZ, USA. My spouse is on H4. We don't have any children. I have few questions regarding getting her ITIN: 1. Its still time to file my...

Spouse on H4, no SSN/ITIN [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was in USA on a H1B visa for close to six years, I got married in May 2005 and my wife accompanied me to the US for four months. We returned to our native for good in September 2005. I did not file for a ITIN/SSN for my wife during her stay. Can I file a joint return claiming her as...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search