Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blakeallen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Leaving State with Child
    My sister in law left the state of Alabama with her 2 year old son. She and the father were living together, but were not married. There is no custody in place. She plans on living with us in Louisiana until she can get on her own feet. Her boyfriend was abusing drugs and providing nearly 0% of his income towards bills and food. She was both a full time mother and a full time worker.

Has she violated any laws by leaving the state?

Should she file for custody in the state of Louisiana immediately?
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 26, 2008, 10:35 AM
    No, she didn't break any laws. I think it would be good if just got custody. On the other hand, if the father isn't trying to mess anything up, it might be best to just leave it for now. Some fathers don't do anything and then when the mother files, they make it really hard on them. If she is expecting child support, she needs to file.
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Jul 26, 2008, 10:46 AM
    I agree that she did nothing wrong. If there's no order in place then she's free to do whatever. On the other hand if for some reason he would want the child, he too is free to take him because there's no order in place. If you want to be better safe than sorry, get an order. Child support is a good idea. Every child deserves it.
    blakeallen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erin7799
    I agree that she did nothing wrong. If there's no order in place then she's free to do whatever. On the other hand if for some reason he would want the child, he too is free to take him because there's no order in place. If you want to be better safe than sorry, get an order. Child support is a good idea. Every child deserves it.
    Should she file in the state she fled from (Alabama) or in Louisiana?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 01:25 PM
    If she just moved to LA she would need to file in her "home" state of AL because she hasn't established residency yet. However, she can petition the judge in LA to take over the case as soon as she has lived there long enough.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 02:00 PM
    She as noted did not break any law since there was no custody agreement in place, and they were not married.

The issue now is what the residency requirement in LA is. And what their state laws say on this, it is posible she will have to file for custody in the other state for now. She needs to seek legal advice
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Jul 26, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Yes. Wherever her permanent residence will be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving the state with child [ 2 Answers ]

My friend is in a very mentally and emotionally abusive relationship. They have a 16 month old daughter together and live in Vegas. He has taken control of every aspect of her life including finances. She wants to leave but has no family around and would need to move to a different state in...

Leaving State Texas with Child [ 4 Answers ]

My stepdaughter left the state of Texas with my grandson. She is married but they've been separated for awhile now. There is no custody agreement in place nor is there a divorce. Neither parent has filed for divorce. She got fed up and moved to Oklahoma. Can she do this or is this considered a...

Leaving State with Child without Custody Order [ 3 Answers ]

My question is complicated. My child's father and I separated. The child stays with her Dad during the week because her father caused me to be in such financial turmoil that I have to work 2 jobs to pay the bills for the house and I can't afford daycare. I have my daughter on the wekeends and...

Leaving the state with child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I left a state to go to another. Our 11 yr(my step child) daughter was so excited. Her mother who was asked, agreed to, had no problem with it. To go back a little, the mother left(abandoned) husband(my husb) and two children(one is 19 now)for another man. Told the courts she did not...

Leaving the state with unborn child [ 4 Answers ]

My friend wants to leave the state and move back to her hometown. She is pregnant and no longer with the father. She has told him that she is planning to move back home. He has not shown any bit of interest in the pregnancy until now. He has told her that she can't leave and that he already has...

View more questions Search