Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DuBas07 Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jul 26, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Stuck bolt
    Im trying to remove the bolt that's holding my brother-inlaws mower blade and it is stuck. I know what Im doing as I maintained a large landscaping companies mowers for 3 years but we had impact wrenches so I never had to deal with this. Ill have access to air tools on Monday but I want to get this done today. Im not sure how the "heating up stuck bolts" trick works and Im not sure if it would be a good idea in this situation because the pulley on top of this bolt could be made of aluminum(I don't know). I have the deck completely removed so I can get at it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 09:10 AM
    There is a brief sticky here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/tools-...ts-235047.html

Jul 26, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    I know the process of taken the mower apart inside and out. I am using a wedge and have a long ratchet. I need ideas on how to loosen an over-tightened bolt. Did I miss something in the sticky? I read it twice now.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Maybe, Maybe not.

The 6 point socket is extremely important.

A 2' long breaker bar is not necessarily the same as a long rachet.

I could add WD-40.

The method works for crankshaft pully bolts torqued at 200 ft-lbs and lug nuts at 80 ft-lbs providing you can keep the shaft from moving.

Jul 26, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Maybe, Maybe not.

The 6 point socket is extremely important.

A 2' long breaker bar is not necessarily the same as a long rachet.

I could add WD-40.

The method works for crankshaft pully bolts torqued at 200 ft-lbs and lug nuts at 80 ft-lbs providing you can keep the shaft from moving.
    I finally got it. My 185 frame standing on the ratchet didn't budge it but my 210lb brother finally got it to break.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crankshaft Pully Bolt [ 5 Answers ]

Trying to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt on a 87 Honda accord. Can't find away to hold the pulley and turn the bolt. Any help would be appreciated.

Johhni bolt [ 2 Answers ]

What is a Johhni bolt, how much does it usuallly cost, where is it used installing a tiolet?

What size & type of bolt [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to remove the starter on my Craftsman mower. It has a B&S 12.5 hp I/C engine about 12 yrs old. I need to replace the cog wheel on top of the starter. My cheapo hex key set will not fit, what size specifically do I need to remove the two bolts holding the starter?

Rocker Arm Bolt Stripped [ 1 Answers ]

I have a B&S 14.5 OHV and the rocker arm bolt is stripped. Does anyone know what size the thread are that go into the cylinder head? I am hopefully going to try and match a helicoil and retap the threads. Dang aluminum! Thanks in advance! If you have any other suggestion I could try, it would also...

Foundation j bolt retrofit [ 4 Answers ]

House has never had any tie down j bolts on The mud sill. However concrete blocks are hollow and usually They fill down two blocks with mortar and place the J bolt in the wet mortar poking up through holes You bore in the mud sill. Can I cut out the face of the block on one web, Put the j...

View more questions Search