Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labcolliemix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Dog grits her teeth along people's clothes
    Wanted to try to find an explanation for a habit that our nine month lab/collie mix is doing...

It's hard to explain, but she grits her teeth and tries to nibble on your pants or your shirt or arm, she doesn't bite or actually nibble on your clothes, only on the very top layer. She doesn't harm fabric, people or anything, but you can hear her teeth go a mile a minute and it tickles. It's kind of like she is eating corn on the cob but just going through the motions and not touching the corn at all.

Was just curious if anyone had ever experienced this type of behavior before with their dog. Is it a nervous habit? She's a very happy dog.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.;) :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labcolliemix
    Wanted to try to find an explanation for a habit that our nine month lab/collie mix is doing....

It's hard to explain, but she grits her teeth and tries to nibble on your pants or your shirt or arm, she doesn't bite or actually nibble on your clothes, only on the very top layer. She doesn't harm fabric, people or anything, but you can hear her teeth go a mile a minute and it tickles. It's kind of like she is eating corn on the cob but just going through the motions and not touching the corn at all.

Was just curious if anyone had ever experienced this type of behavior before with their dog. Is it a nervous habit? She's a very happy dog.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.;) :)

My German Shepherd does this if you scratch (not pet) her. I asked the Vet and he said it's the way she's "wired," same way a dog will move its leg in a scratching motion if you are scratching it.

And, yes, it's EXACFTLY like she's eating corn on the cob -
    labcolliemix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Thanks so much for the quick response. Good to know someone else has experienced the same thing. Our dog actually does this even if you aren't touching her. She'll just walk up to you and do it.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labcolliemix
    Thanks so much for the quick response. Good to know someone else has experienced the same thing. Our dog actually does this even if you aren't touching her. She'll just walk up to you and do it.

I was JUST going to come back on this thread - I was watching my dog this AM and she was doing the same thing to her own leg. I don't know if she's scratching herself or what she's doing.

Maybe it's a nervous habit - ?

I once had a rescue dog who chattered her teeth all the time - I guess it was a nervous habit but she never outgrew it.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Greyhounds chatter when they are excited or happy.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    Greyhounds chatter when they are excited or happy.

I never heard that before! Love to learn new things. Do you know why?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 02:07 PM
    No idea why. But they don't do a lot of normal dog vocalizations, so it may be something they learn from each other in the track kennels.
    israelissick Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Aug 2, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Your dog loves you and sees you as a member of her pack. She is grooming you just like she would do to another dog. Watch some clips on wolves and you will be this behavior. You can also horses do it. Its her way of showing affection

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Clothes Washer out of 2 year storage, clothes are not smelling too good [ 6 Answers ]

I know this probably has something to do with water intake, I just wanted to get everyone's recommendations on this. I had my clothes washer in storage for a couple of years and it appeared that we didn't get all of the water out before we stored it. Now when we wash clothes, there is...

A People's War [ 1 Answers ]

How Were The Chicanos And Japanese Americans Treated During World War Ii? How Did The Media Treat Both Groups?

Other People's Kids [ 7 Answers ]

My close friend "Mary" was injured just before a large group camping trip. We were planning to share in all the meals, and share a site (separate tents and taking turns providing meals for the group). She was not sure if she should come because of the lifting involved, and I said, "My son and I...

View more questions Search