Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onedayold Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 08:28 AM
    bad concrete driveway
    I had a driveway of 22'X80'X6" done. On day of pour it was very hot (80 to 90 degrees F.) The day of pour I noticed the surface flaking in several areas, Mostly small 1-2" spots in groups of a few to several. There is one area (that was shaded during pour) which is approx. 8' X 6' and has lost most of the surface due to this flaking. Any help with causes and cures. The contractor is blaming the supplier and of course the supplier is blaming the contractor. What are suggested procedures to correct and what are most likely causes.
    Thanks.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 11:09 AM
    The Portland Cement Association (11 th question on site below) lists too much water in the mix, finishing the surface before bleed water evaporates and lack of air-entrainment, as the most frequent causes of flaking. Since you saw flacking on day of pour we can forget air-entrainment because that would be a longer term problem.
    Since it was a hot day, too much water or finishing surface too early could be the cause(s). One, the other or both in combination could create the conditions, that is high water cement ratio. Either one results in a diluted mix right at the surface.
    Without seeing any other details, I would say it was finishing too early because I wouldn't expect a problem to show up until traffic had been on it, if it was just wetter than it should have been, but finished properly.
    Unless your contactor can prove a problem with the mix (wrong amount or type of cement, too long in the truck, foreign substances in mix, etc) it will be his problem.
    Most drivers ask the contracor foreman how wet they want the mix to be.

Cement & Concrete FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) | Portland Cement Association (PCA)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 11:19 AM
    I agree with Smearcase regarding what may have caused the problem. However, unless you personally bought the concrete, had it delivered and hired the contractor to do the pour it will be his problem either way. If he bought the concrete and it was bad he has to do the fight, not you. Stick to your guns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete driveway falling apart [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, We poured a concrete driveway about 1 1/2 years ago, and it's got pits all over the surface (about 1/8", and when you walk on it the concrete just dissolves into sand or comes off in large flakes that are sometimes as large as 2"x3". We noticed a small amount of pitting last summer, but not...

Resurface concrete driveway [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone used quikrete concrete driveway resurfacer,what kind of results did you have.Thanks

Driveway, asphalt vs concrete [ 5 Answers ]

I am about to remove my old asphalt driveway and replace it. Which will cost me less, concrete or asphalt? The driveway is approximately 75'x8'.

Concrete driveway spalling [ 1 Answers ]

Yes, I have a badly spalled driveway. I am trying to find products that I can use to repair the driveway, preferably not vynal patches. All I have been able to find is ARDEX, but no one will send it to me or tell me where I can purchase it. The spalling is not deep, 1 inch or less. Any help that...

Asphalt over a concrete driveway [ 2 Answers ]

We have a driveway that was installed when the home was built 1 1/2 years ago. The drive has numerous cracks, and pieces coming out. We have tried to get something done about it, but everyone wants to pass the buck. Can you asphalt over an existing concrete drive? Thanks!

View more questions Search