Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eroc718 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 05:29 AM
    Hows' famliy life in the coast guard?
    I'm 29 years old and married with a 2 year old daughter. I already have a decent job with a NYC government agency. However, I'm bored with my dead end job, the economy is slow and was thinking of a career change to the US coast guard.
    My main concern is how long the average deployment at sea? And how often? In regard to family life, how often should my wife and daughter expect not to see me during the extent of my four year enlistment?
    On military.com it was stated that 85% of boot camp graduates get assigned to a cutter, and that a cutter stays at sea for of 185 days which is approximately 6-7months. Does this mean a cutter is away from home port for a 185 consecutive days each year? Or does this mean a cutter spends an accumulated 185 days away from home port each years, but in short 3-4 week patrolling tours? How many consecutive days? And accumulated days? Should my family expect not to see me each year? This is important because I don't want this decision to end my marriage in divorce, or me missing a majority of my daughters childhood...
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Jul 26, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Usually, Coast Guard stay in the US since the duty is pretty much find survivors in the sea...

It's best if you talk to a recruiter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am retired US Coast Guard, questions welcome. [ 16 Answers ]

I am retired Chief Electrician in the US Coast Guard. If there are young adults thinking on joining, you can ask me about it. I will give you the best answer I can. I am not a recruiter, so I will not try to recruit you. I won't steer you wrong, and I will not try to discourage you. I will just...

Yo how's my rap [ 5 Answers ]

Choras: You can't control the rap, The rap is the beat, Don't you see, I don't control the rap, The rap controls me, You can't control the rap, Its just to cool, Anyone who thinks there cooler, Is just a flipping fool,

A new famliy member [ 2 Answers ]

We just got a new family member, she is a 10 week old long haired Chihuahua. Every time we put her in her kennel she poops and we have to wash her off every time because it gets in her hair. We take her out to poop and pee every time she eats, and excercise her a lot. Why is she going poop in her...

Evicting a famliy member in Pennsylvania [ 4 Answers ]

This is a bit of a sticky situation, but here it is: My girlfriend recently purchased her recently deceased parents home in March 2007. The house is in Philadelphia, PA. A month prior to her purchasing the home, the house was found to have a gas leak, so my girlfriend's sister (35 years old)...

View more questions Search