Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjschriver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Hi,

I'm in a pickle and am not sure what to do. I've got a drum trap that began leaking at a solder joint to it. I've looked around for a replacement, but they're hard to find. I want to replace it with a typical P trap, but I have a question about how to go about it. The existing picture (attached) shows a three pipes, one in, one out, and one to a vent stack (I presume). Because of the way tubs are created with the overflow, does the overflow act as a vent? If it does, can I simply cap off the vent line and run the P to the drain stack? BTW, the existing pipes are all iron, and I intend to replace with PVC. Is that the best option? I have to seal this area back up, as it is in a ceiling, and I want the best long-term option.

Thanks in advance for any advice I can get.

I see pipes but not a drumtrap. Without referance points the picture's usless to me. But I don't really need a picture to tell me that you need to cut the drumtrap out and install a "P" trap. I would convert to PVC using a No-Hub Band, (see image). If you cap off the vent the overflow will act as a vent but you will get a gurgle from the trap evert time you drain the tub. Good luck, Tom

I've been having problems with the tub drain in my house (its about 100 years old). I opened up the drain and the pull snapped (completely corroded). Additionally, the tub has a barrel trap that seems jammed and the top is completely corroded through (I pierced it with the straw of a wd-40 can, draining the contents of the tub into my basement :mad: ). Based on the link below it looks like my issue is somewhat similar to the following post, at least as far as replacing the trap is concerned.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...wer-24172.html

I now need to replace the drain pull mechanism and the barrel trap. Everything seems to be iron. Any suggestions? Here's a picture for reference:

Top pipe goes to drain mechanism. Right pipe goes to tub drain. Downward pipe goes to trap. To the left of the trap is the drain (which may be where the blockage resides).

Thanks,
    Kyle
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
    Hi Kyle

The tub overflow doesn't really act as a vent and in most cases where drum traps are used the only vent for the entire bathroom is the WASTE STACK itself.

In cases like these we either recommend a complete rip out, especially where there are LEAD pipes/traps like your case here, or you would remove the lead drum trap and install a new PVC drum trap to the tub and a new PVC drum trap to the sink.

Glad to discuss more details if you like, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub Shower plumbing wall P trap distance [ 0 Answers ]

On the second floor of a house I wanted to place a tub/ shower unit and connect the p trap and vent in the plumbing wall at the head of the unit. The distance is so close that I would have run a drain at an angle into the wall and not directly back into the wall. I am guessing that must be one of...

Tub/Shower drains slow, trap is clear [ 4 Answers ]

I have a slab house about 50 years old. The tub/shower drains slowly and during the bathroom remolding I was able to remove the trap for the tub which was filled with black sludge. I also bought a rubber attachment that you put on a garden hose and it expands inn the pipe forcing water through. I...

Replacing a p-trap in a dap-out once shower is installed? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, It is my understanding after reading several threads on this site that when installing a shower over a slab of concrete you need to leave a hole "Dap-out" about 14x14 so you are able to perform maintenance on the P-Trap if needed. But once the shower is installed over the P-Trap how...

Leaking flang next to barrel trap [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change a barrel trap from tub ?

Replacing Shower With Tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I am a newbie here, apologies in advance if I have nt provided enough details. I am interested in replacing my shower with a bathtub. My home is a little over a year old and I wiuld like to install a tub, preferably a round tub with jets. Can anyone tell me or direct me to...

View more questions Search