Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 25, 2008, 01:34 PM
    2 Cats, Tiny Apartment.
    I just moved into this tiny 1 bedroom apartment and my mom had previously agreed to take the cats that we had in the apartment we shared.

Now she decided to move to South Dakota for a few months to help out some family there and doesn't want to stress the cats out more (they're stressed because I'm gone) by taking them with her to an unfamiliar place and a long car ride and stuff like that.

So she suggested that we put plastic down in my bedroom (the hard kind like the mats under computer chairs) and lock them in my bedroom during the day so they don't destroy my new furniture (leather).

I would love to have the cats, but my apartment isn't even 600 square feet. I don't have space for a catbox anywhere, except the closet, really.

Any suggestions for the cat stress?
    Or The space? Or anything?

Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 03:01 PM
    How far away does your mom live? Could you just stop by there everyday for a bit to feed and care for them?

Jul 25, 2008, 04:17 PM
    She's moving to South Dakota for 2 months or so. The apartment she's getting isn't going to be ready until after she gets back because they're remodeling it, so that's not really an option...
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Oh I thought maybe it was her house not a rental. :(

Jul 25, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Nope. We shared an apartment and by going month to month it makes rent a whopping $925 from the $800 we've been paying, and I moved out on my own, and then the big deal with my uncle not being about to take care of himself happened, so that's why she's going to South Dakota. Originally she was going to take the cats with her, but now she's worried that it'll be too much stress.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 10:09 PM
    I had two cats in 650 square feet. A lot depends on the cats. If they are older and sedate, it won't be too much trouble. Younger cats will need a lot of playtime to work off energy in allowable ways. Cat trees and bookcases help increase the amount of territory (vertical space counts for cats!), especially if you put them by the windows. Put the litterbox in the bathroom and scoop often. (Mine fit right between the toilet and the bathtub, and I have friends that have taken off the vanity doors and put the box under the sink.) And if you can train them to harness and leash, you can take them outside for walks and fresh air, which helps expand their territory as well.

Jul 26, 2008, 02:19 PM
    The cats are pretty set in their ways. They're 3 and 4, and they fight a lot. The bathroom is tiny (the vanity/counter is attached to the bathtub and the toilet is only a few inches from the counter) so I was thinking in my room (ew) or in a closet or something. They knock everything over, we've tried to leash train them to no avail... and if the girl cat gets mad, well, she'll just pee all over all your stuff.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 02:22 PM
    If you take them to your place you might have to keep the girl in the bathroom or somewhere that is not carpeted and furnished And keep the other in another room while you aren't home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Little tiny bugs [ 13 Answers ]

just lastnite I kept noticing I would itch in random places like something was crawling(the crawl pretty fast) on me and it was a very little bug smaller than a period.I have found one at a time randomly Do you know what kind of bug this could be?

Tiny tiny bumps [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I am a virgin and have never done anything more than kissing.. I am only 15. I have kissed a person who is sexually active which is why I am worrying about this so much, that's was five months ago I would say. I was just browsing YouTube and stumbled across a herpes film. I got worried...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Ants in the apartment, cats and anxiety! [ 1 Answers ]

Live on the third floor of an apartment building and am having a problem with small black/brownish ants. I first noticed them on a chocolate spill that I did not realize was there (silly cats knocked over a beverage). I IMMEDIATELY cleaned the spot, followed their trail, washed the trail and...

View more questions Search