Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coinvalue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 01:23 PM
    1884 morgan dollar coin
    I have a 1884 morgan dollar coin (not in mint condition). Does it worth anything?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 03:50 AM
    Sure it's worth something. But, how much would greatly depend on the grading condition of it. Do you know what the grading condition of it concerning coins might be?

Flying Blue Eagle is a person on this site who has the current documentation concerning the grading and possible monetary values of coins and currency. I'm sure that he will eventually be along to address your question.

Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 12:30 AM
    CoinValue - I want you to look at the back side of the coin and see if written on the very bottom is the words ( TrADE DOLLAR, Mint Mark will be above the " D " of DOLLAR NOTE _ AT present therte are only 10 known

Have a good day and GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 01:53 AM
    Wow, could be the possibility of something really scarce here! But, what are the possibilities as far as the letters of the mint mark that there might be, F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Clough - That could be very rare and scarce. In Nov -05 there was one that sold at auction for ( ARE YOU SITTING DOWN ?IF NOT YOU BETTER> $ 603,750,
    I am not KIDDING. Have a great day and GOD BLESS;; F.B.E.
    Morley Dotes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Hi Folks,

Er, I think perhaps you are confusing the dates... the OP was asking about an 1884 Morgan dollar. Maybe you are thinking about a trade dollar? 1884 Morgan's are fairly common, especially in circulated condition.

Peace,

Morley
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 10:25 PM
    MorleyDotes - Please read the fllowing information
    Note- The morgan dollars were from ( 1878 until 1921:::!
    The coinage law of 1873 made no provision for the standard silver dollar. Durning the lapse in coinage of this denomination, the gold dollar became the unit , and the TRADE DOLLAR was used for commercial transactions with the ORIENT.!
    REsumption of coinage of the silver dollar was authorized by the ACT OF FEBRUARY 28,1878 , Known as the ( BLAND -ALLISON ACT. THE weight ( 412-1/2 granes) And fineness(.900) were to conform with the act of January 18,1837.

Now then ( YES ) HE can have a 1884 trade dollar. This information is right out of the 2008 RED BOOK ON US COINS,And the same can be found in other coin books
    Morley - you have a good day And GOD BLESS < NOT being a smart alec just giving you some information ::: Yours truly ,F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 10:36 PM
    COIN VALUE - If you could post a picture of this coin on this post ,it would be quite a thrill for some of us to see . IF not please answer my question , Look on the back (reverse of the coin ),and down at the bottom of the coin , under the wreath and above the " D" in do;;ar. Waiting for your answer, Have a nice day and GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    Morley Dotes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Thanks Flying Blue Eagle, and I don't mean to step on any toes, but the poster mentioned Morgan dollar, not trade, so I did not want him to get his hopes up. Also, all the known 1884 Trade dollars that I am aware of are high grade proofs. I sure hope he has a trade dollar, however, I would say the likelihood of that is VERY slim.

I just add a couple of things because I think you might find this interesting. For comlpete information, I would refer you to the November 1909 issue of The Numismatistarticle titled: The 1884 Trade Dollar: A Little History. Was it a Mint 'Deal'" by Farran Zerbe. Briefly, and most interestingly, it says that, "The Trade dollar was authorized by the Act of February 12, 1873, and while this act was not repealed until February 19, 1887, none was known to have been coined after 1883 until the 1884's recently came to light." It really is a great article. Lastly of interest, I believe that PCGS and NGC each list 7, for a total of 14, of course, some may have been crossed over... anyway, I thought you would find this interesting.

Best Regards,
    Morley :)
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 03:35 PM
    I hoping that coinvalue does return to this thread because he or she has not logged back onto this site since posting the original question.
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2008, 10:08 PM
    COINVALUE - Sure wish you would log back onto the ( COLLECTABLES SITE ) EW all are wondering what has happened to you , we miss you -so please comeback. HAVE A VERY NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS ;; F.B.E. & THE GANG
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2008, 09:25 PM
    COINVALUE - Hello ,I hope that you are still around, if so can you post on what you found on the 1884 silver dollar, Was it q " Trade dollar?? Have a very nice day and GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuffed toy Morgan Dog [ 2 Answers ]

Are the stuffed toy Morgan Dogs still sold? My daughter had one 25 years ago and really loved that little dog. She held it so much that his middle wore through. My wife shortened him a bit by sowing him together in the middle but my daughter still loved him. Now she has a son just 8 weeks old and...

Morgan dog - stuffed toy dog [ 19 Answers ]

I am looking for an older stuffed dog, a child's toy, that had a rubber squeaker in the nose,  We used to call it a "Morgan" dog,  it had big plactic eyes that had loose black centers,  any info on this toy would be nice.

Morgan Dog - Stuffed Toy [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you, thank you, thank you to whoever posted about Morgan. I have MY Morgan (blue) from when I was a child. About a year ago I saw a new Morgan for sale at Daffy's (a discount store) and I didn't buy it --- I'm kicking myself. Can anyone tell me where I can find a new Morgan the Basset...

Amish PA 1884 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am writing a series of books about a young amish girl in 1884. However I need some information on how amish lived, their traditions and customs, etc. I want to be true to there culture and not get anything wrong. If anyone has any information I would love it.

View more questions Search