Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reefannie Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Oil Painting, 1885, HURD
    I would like to know how to get two antique oil paintings evaluated. These are inherited and are in MINT condition. They are signed and dated, 1885, artist name is HURD. I am willing to send as many photos as necessary for evaluation. I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so travel is not possible for me to physically bring the paintings in. Thank you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:02 AM
    Your best bet would be to take them to an art museum or auctioneer who has a specialty in art. But, given your location, we would be willing to try here.

If you could post images on this thread, that would be helpful! We don't guarantee results, but we can try!

What are the names of the paintings, please?

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2008, 12:41 AM
    The paintings are not named as I can tell, but do have the year, 1885 on both. One is a winter scene, the other is summer, it appears. Frames are in excellent condition as well. The only thing I can find wrong with either is the paper backing is torn, but not bad for paintings 123 years old!

Uploaded one picture of each painting for your review and enjoyment!

Thanks so much for your quick reply,
    K.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 01:03 AM
    Thanks so much for for posting the images! Since you are the one who has the originals, would it be possible for you to post larger images here?

I can resize the ones that you have posted. However, the quality of them wouldn't be as good as the ones that you might post that would be larger.

Thanks!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 01:07 AM
    Could this be the Hurd of your painting?
    Wyeth-Hurd Artists

Jul 26, 2008, 01:21 AM
    I already asked someone at the gallery, and she said no ancestor has the initials of the painting. Thanks, though.

Jul 26, 2008, 01:25 AM
    Hi Clough, I'll try again, but last time it said the pic was too big. Maybe one at a time!:rolleyes:
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 01:36 AM
    Thanks for the reposts of the images in a somewhat larger format, reefannie! I will do some searching and see what I come up with...

Jul 30, 2008, 02:49 AM
    Hi Clough,
    Thought I'd add a picture of the signature. The same one on both paintings.
    Also, I forgot to mention, the family is from Holland and Germany. These paintings could have been done in either country, or USA, not sure. Unfortunately, all senior members of the family are deceased.

If you need other pictures, please don't hesitate to ask. I've been all over the web looking for someone who may be able to tell me more about these paintings, or even if they have any value at all.

K.
    Attached Images

Jul 30, 2008, 02:55 AM
    Trying to get the images large enough, Clough. Hope these are better!

K.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 03:05 AM
    Now, those images are great because of the size of them! Thank you for posting them! I will work on things about this after I have had some sleep. Haven't gone to bed just yet.

I will work with the images that you have posted, enhance them some and also repost them here so that myself or others might be able to come up with some answers for you.

As I have said before, we don't guarantee results, but we can try! At least you are receiving some "live" help here! Plus, it isn't costing you anything for the help that you do get here!

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2008, 11:51 PM
    Hi there!

It has been quite awhile and I was hoping you had heard from someone regarding these paintings. Would you like larger pictures?

Thanks so much,

RA
    mitcheroo Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 01:13 PM

There was a Louis Frederick Hurd (b.1853), who did more seasides than landscapes. His style is distinctly more refined than these two items, but who knows? He also did some posters for exhibitions that are signed "L.F. Hurd".

There was also a "Chas. S. Hurd", born 1800, but I can't find anything he did.

Oct 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Hello and thank you. Did you happen to notice if these Hurds were American or European?

K.
    Berns Posts: 41, Reputation: 5

Oct 15, 2008, 05:46 AM

Hi Reefannie,

Could you please post some more large-scaled photos, with a quality like the one with the signature? - please one photo of each painting itself (without frames - but just the photo of it, you don't have to unframe them ;-) important is the clear visability of the painting and its state) and one photo of the back of each painting.
    By the way... what about the measures? Can you say something about the material? Looks like oil... is it on canvas or paper..
    When photographing, avoid flash or any reflexion, don't take it straight-frontal, just a little bit from the side.

Well, that's it so far

Regards berns

PS: where in the pacific are you at? I almost travelled a lot in the pacific

Oct 16, 2008, 12:48 AM

Sure, I'll post photos again. I live in Hawaii. My good cameras are in the shop right now. If these are not doing it for you, I'll retake with my son's camera tomorrow. The medium is oil and the signing is MJ HURD
    Attached Images

Oct 16, 2008, 06:26 AM

That are the photos, I already have seen, so LARGER & closer please.
    The reason why I was asking for your location, is that it makes almost a big technical difference if you are in Hawaii/USA or in Tuvalu/the north of Tonga... etc - in Hawaii u got all the technical comfort like everywhere "on the continent"... that will make things more easy.

Well so far... I am waiting with excitement for your next post ;-)

Regards bernie

Oct 16, 2008, 10:54 AM

Am I seeing things, or are there two letters in front of the "Hurd" ? Can't make it out.

Oct 16, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Oh, OK, nevermind--you said "M J". Duh!

Oct 16, 2008, 12:44 PM

Dear Reefannie,

I just checked your pics again and had a closer look on these given photodetails - I fear you won't like my opinion.
    Sorry, but as far as I could see, are both paintings in poor condition, esp. the summer/autumn has multiple cracks on the paint-layer and so the paint "is open" and vulnerable - these dry paint-parts could easily fall off - and its VERY expensive to have that professionally fixed.
    The "red stuff" within the frame looks like cloth (velvet?); if that is fixed/glued to the painting`s surface it's a irreversable damage to the pigment and the varnish. The frames look nice, but I fear they are not top either. I guess the are wooden, but check the filigree pattern softly with a needle, I think it is just a lime application covered with a golden colour, and the angles of the frames don't look like solid teeth-craved work that got glued then - I guess there'll be a connection-part, like a nail or a wooden plug.

And finally, the quality of the artist's painting is poor as well - you will find so many of them elsewhere in better conditions.

I am sorry for that, I don't know what you expacted to gain for that, or so, but if I would have it, I would ask a "toursist-antique-shop" if they wonna sell it to any of the tourists ( I am sure some would buy it).

But that's just my opinion...

Regards, bernie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Painting [ 4 Answers ]

I Have an oil painting and can't read the bottom of the name of the artist. It depicts a man sitting at a table praying with glasses on his bible and a apple,bread I think and a bowl of soup. Does anyone know what this painting may be of or who could I ask to give me a value, if it has one.

Would like to know more about painting [ 11 Answers ]

I recently stumbled across a painting of two dogs (possibly 1 dog/1 cat) and have been trying to find out more about it with no luck. It is framed on an Anco Bilt 24x30 frame. There is no identifying marks on the back of the painting, only what appears to be the mark of the painter underneath...

Oil Painting [ 4 Answers ]

I think I may have a oil painting by Prof AA Wendenhal how would I verify this , I live in Canterbury Kent. I have looked him up on the internet and the signature and type of painting looks similar

1885 singer sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1885 singer sewing machine I would like to know what it is worth today and if you buy collectables

Painting Fun! [ 3 Answers ]

Here's a place where you can indulge your inner abstract expressionist: move your mouse to splatter virtual paint and click to change the color. To create a hard copy, right-click on the "canvas" and select Print. Painting Fun I am not printing mine out and showing it to anybody. Let's just...

View more questions Search