Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reefannie Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 09:36 PM

Thank you for your time. The material (matting) is red velvet and it is not glued to the painting. I was told the frames are hand carved, and then (yes) glued together. They are over 100 years old and have been in the family that long. My grandmother thought the artist also made the frames. I guess beauty is in the eye...
    Berns Posts: 41, Reputation: 5

Oct 17, 2008, 05:22 AM

Dear Reefannie,

I didn't want to sound rude, but I just told honestly what I see - I have a lot to do with old european paintings and I guess I have almost seen & rated thousands.

Of course, beauty is a matter of personal taste, but I don't want/I can't judge beautiness, that is duty of the spectator.

I know it is hard, but should I tell you lies? Sure you understand - you can keep them of course as nice family-connected artefacts, that have surrvived the ages and have almost losts of distance covered and seen a lot of the world .

Best regards, burns

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Painting [ 4 Answers ]

I Have an oil painting and can't read the bottom of the name of the artist. It depicts a man sitting at a table praying with glasses on his bible and a apple,bread I think and a bowl of soup. Does anyone know what this painting may be of or who could I ask to give me a value, if it has one.

Would like to know more about painting [ 11 Answers ]

I recently stumbled across a painting of two dogs (possibly 1 dog/1 cat) and have been trying to find out more about it with no luck. It is framed on an Anco Bilt 24x30 frame. There is no identifying marks on the back of the painting, only what appears to be the mark of the painter underneath...

Oil Painting [ 4 Answers ]

I think I may have a oil painting by Prof AA Wendenhal how would I verify this , I live in Canterbury Kent. I have looked him up on the internet and the signature and type of painting looks similar

1885 singer sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1885 singer sewing machine I would like to know what it is worth today and if you buy collectables

Painting Fun! [ 3 Answers ]

Here's a place where you can indulge your inner abstract expressionist: move your mouse to splatter virtual paint and click to change the color. To create a hard copy, right-click on the "canvas" and select Print. Painting Fun I am not printing mine out and showing it to anybody. Let's just...

View more questions Search