Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arunavcd Posts: 89, Reputation: 3

Apr 6, 2006, 09:17 PM
    Company Law Case
    Can anyone give me any website link which talks about Adams Vs. Cape plc (south africa)?

It would be appreciated if anyone can help me giving the summary of this case.

Thanks in anticipation.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 6, 2006, 09:29 PM
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/la...002_1/magaisa/

Try doing a Google search. I did a search for "Adams v. Cape" and got 300 hits.

Apr 8, 2006, 02:30 AM
    Thanks a lot for your reply, Lisa.

It helped me understand the gist of the case.

It would be helpful if you could give me website links which have the solutions or summary of vast amount of cases related to Company Law.

Sorry for asking one more favor but I think that's why we are here.

Thanks once again and looking forward to hearing from you soon.
    Expert

Apr 8, 2006, 07:02 AM
    You're going to have to be a lot more specific than just "Company Law". It sounds like you are referring to "corporate law" and there are way too many cases in that field for me to be able to give you links to summaries. Have you considered taking a course in corporate law? You may be able to audit such a course in a law school or university.

Apr 9, 2006, 12:26 PM
    Well... There are certain cases which are UK based and very much important in the field of Company Law or Corporate Law. The cases must not be UK based but they should be relevant to Company Law as they might take us to the concepts of "VEIL OF INCORPORATION" - SEPARATE LEGAL ENTITY, LIFTING THE VEIL OF INCORpORATION, etc.

Can u cite the cases which are really necessary and really very important in the field of Company Law? The cases can be different from one another but it is true that every case goes back to / against SEPARATE LEGAL ENTITY, foundation of which is the case of Salomon Vs Salomon & Co. Ltd.

Thanks for spending your valuable time and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Please, forgive if there is any kind of weird sentences I have typed by considering that my knowledge is not that broad but hoping to make so.
    cmalnk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 10:11 AM
    Hello.
    I'm doing ICWAI (FINAL).
    I'm searching for case laws related to company law.
    I found out many, but I don't want such advanced & lengthy case laws.
    Case laws should be short & sweet!
    I'll be very much thankful, if anyone helps me in this regard.
    BALDEEPJAIN Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2010, 01:28 AM
    Can a partnership be a member of a ompany?
    aswathyvenugopal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2010, 07:37 AM
    Partnership firm as such cannot be a member because its not a person. It can hold shares in the name of partners jointly...
    B.Deepika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 01:49 AM
    Hai am doing ca-ipcc
    I couldn't get case studies relating to company laws
    Can anyone give me few useful websites so tat it will be useful for me to get more case studies

Jan 21, 2011, 11:25 AM
    I guess more books may be used as reference. Websites are available as you know just on Google search.
    deepeshkumawat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 07:01 AM
    What is the corporate vail
    Expert

Sep 6, 2011, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deepeshkumawat View Post
    what is the corporate vail

Piercing the corporate veil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sep 8, 2011, 07:10 AM
    Corporate Veil is something very interesting if you picture the ancient time when the nuns used to use the Cover on their faces or the muslim girls are required to wear till date similarly. But what if behind the cover, it may be the same girl/person.

Corporate Veil is the cover that would protect the directors/sponsors/shareholders who exert the power, assuming that the Company is not separate from the persons who build or run or govern the company. They purposely forget that the Company itself is an artificial entity.

Go on and on... never ends... Solomon VS Solomon.
    rosana123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2011, 07:11 AM
    [B]Can anyone help me out here with the following case study please?

I need to “Advise Mr Blackstone in relation to his rights and remedies against LDC and Ms Delightful, and his position in relation to Friendly Bank.

Latifah Delightful Cosmetics Ltd (“LDC”) was incorporated in 2010 by Ms Latifah Delightful to own and run a wholesale cosmetics business. Ms Delightful had established the business as a sole trader in 2002, and sold the business to LDC on incorporation in exchange for 85 fully paid ordinary shares in LDC. To raise additional working capital, LDC took a loan from Friendly Bank PLC. LDC granted Friendly Bank Plc a first-ranking floating charge over all of its assets to secure the loan.

LDC has one other member, Mr Johnny Blackstone, Ms Delightful's former husband. Mr Blackstone owns 15 fully paid ordinary shares in LDC. Ms Delightful and Mr Blackstone are no longer on speaking terms, having fallen out after their relationship broke down six months ago. LDC stopped sending Mr Blackstone notices of general meetings around that time.

Ms Delightful is the sole director of LDC and runs the company in much the same way she previously ran her business as a sole trader. She does not consult with Mr Black in relation to any of the day-to-day business decisions.

Unknown to Mr Blackstone, Ms Delightful has entered into retail distribution agreements with LDC. Under the terms of those agreements, Ms Delightful pays LDC less than the wholesale costs of the cosmetics. Ms Delightful then sells the cosmetics to the public in her shop and makes a profit. LDC subsequently approved the contracts in general meeting by ordinary resolution after Ms Delightful voted her shares to approve the contracts. Mr Blackstone did not attend the meeting or vote because he did not receive notice of the meeting.

Ms Delightful has also made some catastrophic business decisions as director of LDC, including an investment in some speculative property development schemes which have now failed, leaving LDC with large debts.

LDC is now in financial troubles. Ms Delightful has received advice from Denise Smith, Accountant, that there is a significant risk that, if things continue as they are, LDC will soon be unable to pay its debts as they fall due. Ms Delightful, in tears, tells Mr Blackstone what has happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salomon Vs Salomon company case [ 12 Answers ]

In the Salomon Vs Salomon company case. Was the judges final verdict a scandalous one which unleashed a tidal wave of irresponsibility into the business community?

Do I have a case? [ 9 Answers ]

My son and I have same first, middle, and last names. I found in his papers a correspondence from a law firm near Chicago sent to him at his place of employment about court judgements concerning me. They were faxed and on some used work order paper lying around the shop. My son is an auto mechanic....

Case Study [ 2 Answers ]

What are the main challenges while conducting a Case Study?

Do I have a case? [ 5 Answers ]

I'll try to keep this short... Last May, I signed a rental lease with my girlfriend at the time. We were both working and agreed on the usual 50/50 split of all expenses. Four days after moving in together, she quit her job. She was on an experimental treatment for a thyroid condition and the...

View more questions Search