Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2006, 08:38 PM
    Chronicles of Narnia
    This is more of a comment than a question. Tonight I rented the recent Chronicles of Narnia movie for the kids and watched it along with them. I hadn't seen it yet, but I remember when it came out, it was criticized for being "too Christian". At the time I didn't have an opinion one way or another, because I hadn't yet seen the movie.

Well, now I have seen it, and it's wonderful! A little more violent than I would have liked for children, but still very true to the book. The people who criticized it for being too Christian... what a load of ****!! I loved the Narnia books as a kid and I'm Jewish. In fact, I didn't even notice the Christian references in the books until I went back and read them again as an adult. Even then, they didn't bother me at all. I think C.S. Lewis is a great author.

Not sure what I'm trying to say exactly, but I guess I just don't understand the people who criticized this movie on that basis! I mean, duh... yeah it's going to have some Christian overtones. So what?? That's not necessarily bad. Actually I'd like to see SNL or Comedy Inc do a spoof of this movie based on people's complaints of it being "too Christian". They could have the movie going on as usual, but with priests and nuns and other religious folks jumping out of the bushes now and then. :p I mean really, the accusations are THAT ridiculous to me.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2006, 02:38 AM
    Isn't it funny that critics would complain about the Cronicles of Narnia yet laud the likes of bunk like the Davinci Code?

I know well that CS Lewis fully intended to fill that series with Christian "undertones", yet the truth is, is it so subtle that people who do not know of the Christian undertones don't even recognize that it's there.

... but of course with all the hype, now everyone knows...
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 03:05 AM
    Thanks Rick. Yeah I agree, the overtones are so very subtle. I don't see a problem at all, if you consider a Christian theme a problem, that is. Personally I don't.

I just have to laugh at the Google ads for this thread... right now there is one for Turkish Delight... lol.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2006, 03:10 AM
    Hmmm. It's Free Computer Speed Test for me :p
    (will have to admit, though, those ads usually are right on target with the keywords in the thread).
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 03:48 AM
    Hi, Orange,
    I think there will always be someone who criticizes anything as being "too Christian", or too Religious, or even too Spiritual.
    Personally, I don't think anything can be "too Christian"... but of course, I'm biased toward Christianity.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 7, 2006, 03:54 AM
    The Davinci Code bunk.Surelly not with Tom Hanks,and Christopher Eccleston? :D
    CS Lewis grappled with christianity most of his life.But he got there in the end.His books are enchanting,wonderfully written,and a joy for both children,and adults alike.Who could not like The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe?
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 12:31 PM
    Thanks guys. I'm glad everyone agrees. Really though, I was thinking about the movie again this morning, and what is so religious about it?? You might as well say Star Wars or ET had religious overtones (which some people think it did LOL). Anyway I just don't get those people who said it was too Christian. I mean WHO ARE those people, and what's their motive?? I'm just ranting now lol. Maybe I should Google it to find some answers.

Nez, I've never read The DaVinci code, but I always thought the idea of it was "fringe". I do like Tom Hanks though so I might go to the movie just for fun. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Narnia, movie [ 6 Answers ]

I watched the movie Narinia today, first I would not recommend it for younger children, my 5 year old left the room because it was too scary. But I have been hearing this movie hyped as a Christian movie. Ok, where do we get the relationship to Christinaity except for the good vs evil idea. ...

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [ 3 Answers ]

In year 4 of the game I went through old areas to gain more experience but they actually let me take more myrhh from the tree. It never happened in year three. I was just wondering do they give you myrhh anywhere now that I'm in year 5. If so I don't think it would be much of a challenge. Or is...

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [ 2 Answers ]

There's one thing about this I don't understand. As I was reading the information booklet I noticed that they mention that a " SINGLE PLAYER can play MULTIPLAYER mode alone". Is this possible ? If it is could you please let me know.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [ 1 Answers ]

Is it actually worth creating eight characters in a single player mode. This games great by the way.

View more questions Search