Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Sexist Boyfriend
    He thinks that a woman having the same number of partners as a man is more of a whore than he is simply because she is a woman. How do I get him to realize this is unfair, wrong, and sexist?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 09:00 PM
    No sex till he agrees? May not actually believe but bet he swears to it.

But he is the way he is, to be honest doubtful he will change his thinkings by anything you say.
    Vision Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 09:06 PM
    I know, I've been trying for two years. It's just the way that he was brought up. Women play a more pivotal equal role in America than they do (from what I hear) in Bosnia, which is where he is from.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 12:41 AM
    You DON'T convince him. You calmly, humorously point out the funny inconsistency. That's it. Nothing more. You don't convince him. If he wants to opine about girls as sluts let him, chuckle at it because that's what it deserves.

HIM: "Why are you laughing?"
    YOU: "Hehe, attitudes like you're describing deserve a good chuckle, that's why."
    HIM: "Well, it's true and you know it!"
    YOU: "Hehe, OK, good for you. At least you're solid in your beliefs. OOh, cookies! Want one?"

See, no attempts to convince him he's wrong. But he DOES get to see your response. And anger is frequently a REWARD. Don't give it to him. Chuckle, chuckle away...
    Software Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 01:25 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma agrees: I've done that and to no avail... he's stubborn..
    You don't convince him of anything. Ever. You live your life unaffected by the craziness of others.

BTW, I'm not suggesting something you "try and see if it works". I'm suggesting an attitude you adopt forever to shield yourself from the frustrations you're experiencing right now. You aren't your brother's keeper. Let him have his nuttiness.

If the nuttiness is too much to live with, don't. You know that.
    Vision Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 01:29 AM
    I understand what you are saying. But what I am saying is that's the way that I am treating the situation, and nothing has changed.
    Kevin_s Posts: 213, Reputation: 51

Jul 25, 2008, 03:28 AM
    Kick him in the family jewels every time he brings it up. Eventually he'll associate saying things like that with a gut wrenching pain. =)

lol jk.

Just like others have said, you can't change him, you got to take it all, or leave it all.
    Vision Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 03:29 AM
    No thanks.
    Kevin_s Posts: 213, Reputation: 51

Jul 25, 2008, 03:42 AM
    He was raised to believe in one way, just like you can't expect a racist to change. You could try to explain to him that here in America, women are equal to men, and that there have been a long history of oppression on Women and that it is not acceptable in this day and age. He needs to hold his tongue, regardless of what he thinks, if he is going to be with you.

You shouldn't have to put up with the way he is acting any longer and he needs to understand this.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Did you know that he was this way before you got together?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 06:32 AM
    You simply tell him that you are with him now and that is what counts.
    If he pushes it say I gave up the rest for the very best.
    If he still tries to bring it up tell him that that seems to be a sore subject matter for him so you would rather not discuss it because you do not want to end up at odds with each other
    Vision Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_s
    He was raised to believe in one way, just like you can't expect a racist to change. You could try to explain to him that here in America, women are equal to men, and that there have been a long history of oppression on Women and that it is not acceptable in this day and age. He needs to hold his tongue, regardless of what he thinks, if he is going to be with you.

You shouldn't have to put up with the way he is acting any longer and he needs to understand this.
    He's not one that thinks every woman should be walking around barefoot and pregnant, or that they're not as smart as men. He just thinks that men aren't sluts and women are for sleeping with the same number of people.
    Software Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 02:35 PM
    He just thinks that men aren't sluts and women are for sleeping with the same number of people.
    And you're pursuing this topic with him why exactly?

And don't tell me "he talks about it, not you". Poppycock. You're here on the forum gathering feedback so you can continue this discussion with him anew. You feel you can't win it on your own position. So I ask - why?

It takes two to debate something stupid. If one person says something stupid and the other person just laughs... no debate. Or you can talk crazy back.

Him: "Men can sleep with as many women as they want, but if women do it they are sluts."
    You: "Strawberry shortcake isn't hairy on Tuesdays."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend vs ex sort of boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

I've like this guy for 8 - 10 months his name was lets say Scott. Scott and I never actually went out but we liked each other. Said ' I love you' and held hands did what normal couples would do. He didn't ask because he wanted to be 100% sure if out relationship would last. I liked him a lot...

I have this boyfriend [ 12 Answers ]

I have been dating this boy Kevin for 3 months and my feelings for him have grown a lot since the beginning lately we have been fighting a lot and we always seem to make up but I feel like my feelings for him have been slowly slipping away. I recently talking to this boy James and the more I'm with...

Ex- boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

I have been single since October and before that I was dating my best friend Brian. He was my second boyfriend and I thought we were going to last. He seemed so into me and I was crazy over him. He was 17 and I'm only 15 making it a little hard for him to understand things. My family adored him and...

(possible) boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

OK So my best friend is this amazing guy. And I love him to pieces. In More ways than one. I love him as a friend and a possible life partener. But. He is 18 and I'm only 16... and he goes to college about 30 miles away from my high school. I really want us to be more than friends, and I think he...

My boyfriend has a low IQ. [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a much lower IQ than I do. It is really affecting our relationship. He does not have general life skills. I can't take him to nice places. He can't help my kids with difficult homework. I thought I loved him, but now that I have really figured this out, I am having a horrible...

View more questions Search