Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhering Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Unlocking desk drawer
    I have three "work stations" or desk units. Each has a drawer that can be locked with a small key. Each one was locked when we moved. The keys are lost. Does anyone have any tips on how to unlock? I don't want to pay for a locksmith. I tried the usual: hair pin, small screw driver.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 24, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Someone's probably going to have a better answer, but you could buy a lock pick. I've seen a small one in several catalogs (about the diam of 1-1/2 or 2 pencils but shorter) for <$20. I think I saw it in Harbor Freight or Northern (tool cat). Catalog BudK has a more advanced one (>$20). If nobody has a better idea, I'll dig up addresses...

-
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Use a drill and drill out the lock. Replacement locks are cheap enough to purchase to replace the ones drilled out. Next time be sure to keep the keys in a safe place so you can find them.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 25, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Good idea twinkie...
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Call locksmith...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Does the lock have a number on it? Locksmith may be able to make key from number, may not. Doesn't cost anything to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unlocking drawers on roll top desk [ 20 Answers ]

I have a roll top desk that I purchased in 1988 or 89. I can neither get the top to roll down nor open the side drawers. There are two keys - one of which opens a small compartment on the top of the desk - the other unlocked the roll top. The roll top is now stuck in an opened position and I...

Stuck desk drawer [ 14 Answers ]

My office desk drawer is stuck closed. It opens only an inch. It is on side sliders and there appears to be no way to access the sliders that seem to catch on something inside the track.

DVD drawer stuck [ 1 Answers ]

DVD drawer won't open. It is stuck with a CD inside

DVD Player - drawer stuck [ 1 Answers ]

The DVD drawer on our dvd player (hooked up to tv) is stuck closed. How do I open it? Thank you

Dvd player drawer [ 2 Answers ]

How can I open a drawer of a surround sound player , if its not working

View more questions Search